Comet GT Grill

Discussion in 'Cosmetic' started by greenwa1, May 27, 2010.

1. greenwa1

greenwa1 Member

Vehicle:
    72 Comet GT, 71 Maverick
    My Comet GT's original grill was replaced at some point.

I have a used grill and an NOS grill neither one is a GT. I do have the three GT chrome strips I plan to use on one of the complete grills.

My questions are; is only the middle of the GT grill blacked out? What about the area where the sport lamps go? I have seen many differnt pictures but what is correct? Can someone provide pics of what the GT grill is suppose to look like?.

2. blugene

blugene Senior member Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    73 Comet GT, 72 Comet GT, 2008 "Comet" (our boxer, who is now in the galaxies)
    The stainless strips do not fit a regular grill.
    I have a NOS GT grill in the factory box and I don't think it's black. I will have to look at it this weekend. Seems I remember thinking that the black is possibly done as the car is being made into a GT or something.

Last edited: May 27, 2010
  3. greenwa1

greenwa1 Member

Vehicle:
    72 Comet GT, 71 Maverick
    Gene,

Thanks, I thought the only difference in the grills was the molding. Bummer that the molding won't fit. Why won't it fit?

Apprecaite you taking a look this weekend. Would really appreciate a pic or two. Have never seen an NOS GT grill.

4. brainsboy

brainsboy Member

I have a set of stainless moldings too. Its true they do not fit stock grills, however they can be made to fit. I have a mill so its easy for me to do, you just need to mill the top,bottom, and middle spokes thinner.

Off topic but I thought not all GT's had the stainless stripes. I also thought someone from this site mentioned that it was based on the plant the car was made. I have a 71 magazine which has a comet GT write up, the comet shown doesnt have the stainless stripes.

5. greenwa1

greenwa1 Member

Vehicle:
    72 Comet GT, 71 Maverick
    Thanks, would be interesting to see if not all Comet GT's had stainless strips or not. Mine was assembled in Dearborn.

Brainsboy, off hand do you know how much to mill off?

6. brainsboy

brainsboy Member

Standard grilles are .235" thick

GT grilles are .125" thick but not the entire strip is this thin. The depth is about .150", the rest of the strips dimensions are the same as standard.

7. blugene

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    I think only the 71 and 72 have the strips.

8. blugene

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    I have a 73 GT but will be putting the grill on my car anyway :dancing:

9. greenwa1

greenwa1 Member

Vehicle:
    72 Comet GT, 71 Maverick
    Gene, don't blame you a bit I would do the same thing:thumbs2:

If you get time would love to see some pics of your NOS grill.

I'm going to put the strips on my grill just trying to figure out if I should black out the grill or not.

10. Mercurycruizers

Mercurycruizers David (Coop) Cooper

Vehicle:
    1973 LDO Comet GT Daily driver: 2008 Ford Taurus X SEL
    I have one of each grill. I currently have the all black grill on my Comet GT... I like the all black...

11. greenwa1

greenwa1 Member

Vehicle:
    72 Comet GT, 71 Maverick
    Brainsboy, I have an old cracked GT grill I took the molding from and see what you mean about making it thinner on the yop edge. How are you going to mill the edges in a straight line?

The bottom of the grill s are the same so they strips will clip into place once the top is milled.

12. blugene

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    I got to take some pics today. Just looking at it made me want to get my car going. I began to get upset cause I was mowing at my house that I am renting to my daughter and her bf. THEY are supposed to be taking of the yard and instead, they are inside playing the dam wii while im cooking and sweating :mad:. I wanted to work on my car dangit. :mad:
    Anyway, here's a couple of pics. :)

Attached Files:

13. greenwa1

greenwa1 Member

Vehicle:
    72 Comet GT, 71 Maverick
    Gene,

Thanks for the pics! I know kids, what are ya gonna do:rolleyes:

Here are some pics I took. The first is from a used GT grill that I took the molding off of. You can see the indentation where the molding slips onto.

The second is of an NOS non-GT grill that I have. The third is of the same NOS grill and you can see marking lines of where the molding indentations should be.

Your grill looks blacked out compared to mine and yours is exactly what I want mine to look like. I plan to mill the indentation for the moldings black it out like yours, install and enjoy:thumbs2:

Again thanks for tkaing the time for the pics.

Will

Last edited: Oct 9, 2011
  14. blugene

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    Will,
    They are probobly the same color. I will have to bring the grill over to my house from the storage and compare them against each other. I want to say that the colors are the same, but not sure. Maybe it is a littlt darker..
    Too bad you don't have a used grill to practice on. I should have looked at the grill a little closer to see how the strips are attached. I was too hot and upset to think and wanted to get home and inside :whew:.

15. greenwa1

greenwa1 Member

Vehicle:
    72 Comet GT, 71 Maverick
    Gene,

I do have a used regular grill that I can practice on. Going to my friends speed shop this week and hopefully he knows someone smart that can do the milling.:idea:

The middle of your grill looks like the same color as where the lamps go, is that true? I know pictures can look different. Mine is like a charcoal where the lamps go and argent or silver in the middle. Going to make mine dark everywhere.