Consul for Maverick ?

Discussion in 'Cosmetic' started by 19Grabber72, Jan 13, 2011.

1. 19Grabber72

19Grabber72 Member

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick 2 Door Sport Sedan Grabber
    The consul I see now and again on Ebay for Mavericks. I had never run across this item. What year(s) did this debute and what sort of Mavericks will one find them in most often? Some I see have clocks, or at least an option to have such or just a Maverick emblem. Does the thing fit between bucket seats or does it hook somehow to the underdash or package tray and sit further forward on the "hump?" And it doesn't look like it does much of anything but hold some change and maybe a pair of gloves and garage door opener-- Is it such a good add to the car?
    Last question. Did other cars have this same consul or one almost the same style and look etc?

2. darren

darren Member

Vehicle:
    72 302 Maverick
    Yep a lot of us have one or two hangin around. Not hard to find but hard to find cheap. They sit on the trans tunnel at the dash. They were an option. Its a nice factory look but your right it doesnt serve much purpose short of a small lockable compartment. Price varies depending on condition and who you get it from.

3. 19Grabber72

19Grabber72 Member

Vehicle:
    Is there a way to fab cup holders in/on the thing without destroying it?

4. darren

darren Member

Vehicle:
    72 302 Maverick
    I would find a cup holder that you could attach with 3m 2 sided moulding tape. I've hung mini blinds with the stuff.

My cup holder is attached to my shifter. Its out of the console of a 2010 Caravan. Some cutting,heating,bending and paint, it fit great. Nice little project to kill some time and the most useful part on my car.(y)

[​IMG]

5. mjm0395

mjm0395 Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1972 Yellow Comet, 1966 Ranchero
    Can I see some pix of a consul in the car?

6. 19Grabber72

19Grabber72 Member

Vehicle:
    Thats cool too. I have a column shift however. But I like what you did with it! Thanks for sharing. I'd like to see a pic of a consul in a car too. Any but a Maverick one would be great. I've never been lucky enough to see them in the salvage yards. All the Mav etc went when scrap went up, so the yards crushed many. :(

7. darren

darren Member

Vehicle:
    72 302 Maverick
    I wouldnt expect to find them in the wreckers unless your really lucky. Pretty easy to find one for sale but count on 100 bucks and up for a good one.

Try a forum search for consoles. Seen a bunch on here, Granada,Pinto,Maverick and a few home made and modified from other cars. I think there was one with an early 80's Mustang console that caught my eye. The guys on here have tried just about everything that will fit.LOL.

Heres a home fabricated one. Neat idea.
    http://mmb.maverick.to/showthread.php?t=67971