Correct interior Black color....

Discussion in 'Cosmetic' started by A_Bartle, May 2, 2008.

1. A_Bartle

A_Bartle Stallion Dreamer

Vehicle:
    1976 Yellow 2-door Maverick
    I know this question has been asked in the past, so I apologize for bring it up again. However, I've been searching the forums for around an hour and can't seem to find it. My lower dash is cracked, and since I had to take it out to install the radio bezel, now is the time to address it. I bought another one that is not cracked, but it's blue in color. So, here are my two questions:

1). What is the "correct" black color for the interior? Again, I know I've read answers to that question, but I can't get my hands on it right now. Seems to me there was a rattle can product that matched really well.

2.) Any suggestions as to putting some "reinforcement" on this uncracked lower dash unit to "prevent" it from cracking in the future?

Thanks to everyone, I appreciate the help and advice.

Art

2. littleredtoy

littleredtoy Seth

Vehicle:
    '74 Comet GT
    black paint

The best match that I have found is either black metallic or black/charcoal metallic. I used rattle can lacquer on the doors. On the dash I would want enamel or something that dries quicker and more evenly.

Seth

3. A_Bartle

Vehicle:
    I did some more searching and found "Dark Charcoal Metallic" was the clear winner in suggestions. However, does anyone know of a rattle can brand and paint color (number?) that would be equivalent to this?

4. Maverick73

Maverick73 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    '73 Maverick 2 Dr, '73 Maverick LDO 4 Dr, '73 Maverick 4 Dr Parts Car
    I used Krylon fusion on my lower dash, which is a shelf.

5. dmhines

dmhines Dixie Maverick Boy

Vehicle:
    1971 Grabber / 2012 Mustang / 2009 Jeep Wrangler / 2013 Ducati / 2009 Buell XB12Scg
    Check the duplicolor rack at the autoparts store ... you'll find a Dark Charcoal Metallic there ...

6. A_Bartle

Vehicle:
    Dan,

I was at NAPA this morning, I inquired on the '84 Mustang color you mentioned in another thread, but they said they did not go that far back. I'm off to another town in a few minutes where they have an Advanced Auto Parts, I'll check the duplicolor rack if they have one. Thanks!

Art

7. dmhines

dmhines Dixie Maverick Boy

Vehicle:
    1971 Grabber / 2012 Mustang / 2009 Jeep Wrangler / 2013 Ducati / 2009 Buell XB12Scg
    I'm not saying duplicolor will have Ford Dark Charcoal Metallic ... but they should have a dark charcoal metallic that will be close enough

8. Dave B

Dave B I like Mavericks!

Vehicle:
    3 Grabbers
    I used some to repaint my steering column, and my buddy used it on the middle of my dash, and it's really close. If I get out to the garage, I'll get you the number off the can. I'm not a paint sniffer, but the smell of Duplicolor is awesome!!!

9. A_Bartle

Vehicle:
    Here is what I found. Duplicolor "Truck-Van-SUV" trim paint. The number is "T90 Univ. Black Metallic" sku # 2691690090. Not sure if it's a match yet, just got home from the store. It "looks" really close according to the cap. From the selection they had (which was pretty large) this was what "looked" the closest. However, there may be another color that matches better, so by no means am I advising anyone who is in need of this to run out and get this color code. I'll do a test as soon as I have a chance and let everyone know if it's in the ball park or not. In the mean time, keep the suggestions coming....

10. Dan Starnes

Dan Starnes Original owner

Vehicle:
    Stallion, 72 Grabber, Sprint, 77 4dr Maverick
    I would not mess with an uncracked lower dash. If it aint broke, dont fix it. Do make sure you install all mounting screws, do not over tighten. Also, make sure you have a back strap mount on your radio.
    Dan

11. A_Bartle

Vehicle:
    Dan,

Thanks for the suggestions. However, as far as not reinforcing the lower dash unit...

I can understand your philosophy "if it's not broke, don't fix it", but these lower dashes almost always crack, which tells me there was a design flaw. Both of my Mavericks cracked in the narrow part above the glove box, obviously a weak point. I was thinking if I reinforced the un-cracked unit, it would protect it from the "design flaw" and keep it from cracking in the future. I was thinking about gluing a piece of something on the inside, or filling that narrow channel above the glove box door with fiberglass. I even thought about fabricating a narrow "u-shaped" piece of metal to slide over the inside edge along the entire top of the unit to give it extra support. Just some ideas....

Art

12. Craig Selvey

Craig Selvey Indiana State Rep - MCCI

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick Grabber - Color: Orange Also, 1976 Ford Maverick 4-door, 1977 Mercury Comet 2-door.

I cut up a CD jewel case and glued part of that in to this weak area. It was just thin enough to fit in there and not be seen once it was installed.

13. Ron45922

Ron45922 Member

Vehicle:
    1973 comet 302,29000 miles auto air, 2009 shelby kr ( last red one built , 2500 miles)
    crack

what craig worked for me,,the man is a god,,,:bowdown:

Ron

14. A_Bartle

Vehicle:
    UPDATE:

As far as the Duplicolor "Truck-Van-SUV" trim paint, number "T90 Univ. Black Metallic", I tried it last night and it has too much metallic in it, gives it almost a black~silver look. Might be ok if you're painting everything, but it's not going to work for me trying to match the upper dash. I've got to find something else.....

15. Craig Selvey

Craig Selvey Indiana State Rep - MCCI

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick Grabber - Color: Orange Also, 1976 Ford Maverick 4-door, 1977 Mercury Comet 2-door.
    You will need to take a look at mine in my blue 4-door. It was busted in about 3 places. A little super glue and some of the cracks are absolutly invisible....including a huge 3" crack between the radio and glove box.