cost of paint job

Discussion in 'Cosmetic' started by duster70, May 3, 2006.

1. duster70

duster70 Member

Vehicle:
    1970 Maverick I-6 automatic
    just wondering what the cheapest price on a black paint job is?

2. luckyirishpride

luckyirishpride "Youngest Comet Owner"16!

Vehicle:
    2x 1971 Mercury Comets Both V8s, P/S/, A/C
    I got quoted 1500.... Not sure if that is good or bad. Anybody got an opinion on this price?

3. rayzorsharp

rayzorsharp I "AM" a Maverick!

Vehicle:
    Three 71 Maverick Grabbers, a 72 302 Sprint, a 73 LDO 2door parts car, a 76 silver v8 Stallion.
    Well, I've never used Krylon on my cars before but if you can get by with ten cans, I would say about $20.
    Seriously, there is no set price on a paint job, especially old cars, even moreso on a black one. You're not telling us how much preparation work it's going to take before your car can be painted. Are you going to just mask up the car and spray it? Are you going to remove all the bumpers, moldings and trim? Can't paint the car properly without it. Are you going to repair any dents/rust? Does the old paint need to be stripped? Usually so. Are you going to use single stage, base/clear paint? Are you going to change colors? Do you want it wetsanded and buffed to get a glass like finish? Are you going to paint the inside jambs?

Anyway, I hope this gives you a little bit of insight on pricing a paint job. I do run a body shop so I get asked this question quite often.
    A very similar question would be to ask a grocer, how much does a bag of groceries cost?
    Good luck with the car and be sure to post pics when you get er done.

Last edited: May 3, 2006
  4. luckyirishpride

luckyirishpride "Youngest Comet Owner"16!

Vehicle:
    2x 1971 Mercury Comets Both V8s, P/S/, A/C
    Well dang... THAT EXPLAINS WHY YOUR CAR IS SO DAMN BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!
    Thats not fair...

5. rayzorsharp

Vehicle:
    Three 71 Maverick Grabbers, a 72 302 Sprint, a 73 LDO 2door parts car, a 76 silver v8 Stallion.
  6. Mavaholic

Mavaholic Growing older but not up!

Vehicle:
    Original 72 Sprint Owner, 71 Comet GT, 57 Ranchwagon, 57 4 dr Wagon
    Better have that car damn straight if your going to paint it black. Black paint hides nothing.

7. Mavaholic

Mavaholic Growing older but not up!

Vehicle:
    Original 72 Sprint Owner, 71 Comet GT, 57 Ranchwagon, 57 4 dr Wagon
    Also, I paint my own cars and I can tell you I will easily spend $600 to $800 in materials to paint 1 car. I use quality PPG paint.

8. scooper77515

scooper77515 No current projects.

Vehicle:
    Fresh out of Mavericks
    From what I hear, the paint and painting is the cheap part, it is the straightening and the prep that costs the most and is most time consuming.

For you body men, would I be better off getting it as straight as I can and letting someone else get it perfect and then paint, or just leave it alone and let the shop do it all?

I don't want to make matters worse by attempting to fix things I am not adept at doing.

Currently, I am staying away from the bondo and just replacing any bent/dented panels with straight ones. I want as much steel and as little bondo as possible on the finished product.

9. dmhines

dmhines Dixie Maverick Boy

Vehicle:
    1971 Grabber / 2012 Mustang / 2009 Jeep Wrangler / 2013 Ducati / 2009 Buell XB12Scg
    I would say $1500 was for paint only. Prep, chrome removal, body work ... would have to be extra ... By the time a shop pays for primer, sealer, paint, hardner, masking paper & tape, sand paper & other misc supplies ... the guying doing the paint will be making very little money .... I would be extremely leery of a $1500 paint job quote ...

10. 71gold

71gold Frank Cooper Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    '73 Grabber
    first you need to find someone that will paint an " old car"..:yup:
    most want to treat it like it is a side job.... work on it in their "spare" time...this sometimes takes ...months to a year or more to complete.. or in worst case they loose interest and tell you to come get it because they don't have time to mess with it...
    take it to a few places and see what you can find out.

don't tell them .." i ain't in no hurry"..
    tell them you want a "quick...cheap..paint job" if that is what you want..
    Ray, gives good advice about "taking it apart"...
    ...frank...:bouncy:

do a search on ...paint...

11. rayzorsharp

Vehicle:
    I personally won't take a car into my shop where someone else has done the body work themselves. I want to know exactly what's under the primer before I spend any amount of time trying to put a 1st class paint job on a car. I don't want my name on a car when somebody elses bondo starts cracking. Everyone only wants to know who painted the car...they never ask who did the body work. In other words Scooper, make sure you can find a shop that will work on it before you do any of the work, especially if it's going to be primed when you bring it to them. Primer can hide too many defects. There's nothing wrong with doing some of it yourself, just make sure you work with whoever will be painting it.

Last edited: May 3, 2006
  12. Hawkco

Hawkco Genuine Car Nut

Vehicle:
    77 Maverick
    I'm paying $3,000 for base coat/clear coat paint job that cover the outside, inside, trunk, under hood, etc.. That includes all the prep work such as getting out every ding, dent, scratch, etc., primer, blocking, sealer, and then paint. I did rust repair and had some panels replaced that costs me extra bucks. When I'm through, I'll have about $3,600 in the paint and body work. I am not counting the costs of all the seals, weatherstrip, and trim; that is extra. Did I mention the new dash cap, healiner, carpet, reconditioned and painted interior and door panels, re-upholstered seats, new Cragar S/S wheels, hood scoop, spoiler, Lokar floor shifter, new stereo, etc? See what happens when you start out to get a car painted.:slap:

13. scooper77515

scooper77515 No current projects.

Vehicle:
    Fresh out of Mavericks
    Thanks for the suggestion regarding doing my own work. That is JUST the excuse I needed to not mess with Bondo...not that I needed much of an excuse :D

So, I will have to decide if I will paint it myself or hire it out... :huh:

14. dmhines

dmhines Dixie Maverick Boy

Vehicle:
    1971 Grabber / 2012 Mustang / 2009 Jeep Wrangler / 2013 Ducati / 2009 Buell XB12Scg
    I just can't believe this is gonna be your daughters daily driver!

15. Jamie Miles

Jamie Miles the road warrior

Vehicle:
    13 Mavericks
    I was thinking the same thing. :)