Critique my rear end restoration

Discussion in 'Cosmetic' started by xpsnake, Aug 4, 2004.

1. xpsnake

xpsnake Bruce

Vehicle:
    1971 Ford Maverick 2-door
    OK, in a short time, my car will be going to the sandblaster. To reduce my cost, the suspension is going to stay on until I get it back. Now, a couple of questions already.

1. Is this wise? I'm not worried about any of the parts as they'll be replaced, but will I be hiding any rust behind that little section on the spring perch?
    2. If I do find rust, can I clean it out with a wire brush later and prep it?

Next, I'm going to be ordering rear parts from ESPO. For my 1977 Maverick,what all do I need? I know I need the springs themselves, but I'm kind of lost on how much of what goes where.

That's pretty much it, I just wanted some advice and a little info. Thanks in advance.

2. T.L.

T.L. Banned

Vehicle:
    '73 Maverick 2-door, V-8
    I got my rear parts from ESPO, except for the springs--they are from J.C. Whitney. I went with Urethane bushings and they are noisey (yes, I greased them upon installation). Probably should have gone with rubber at least on the rear shackles. too late now. I was actually surprised and a little disappointed that the springs did not raise the back of the car like everyone said it would (they are the 4-leaf). It just sits level--no "rake" at all. Well I am not pulling them back out, so I will instead lower the front of the car just a slight bit for the desired "rake". I bead-blasted and repainted the stock rear shackles, and used all new 'U'-bolts for the spring perches/axel mounts. Also blasted and repainted the perches. Shocks are gas-charged OEM replacments made by Monroe...

3. Maverick73

Maverick73 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    '73 Maverick 2 Dr, '73 Maverick LDO 4 Dr, '73 Maverick 4 Dr Parts Car
    Hey T.L. could you post some pics of your Maverick please. I like looking at fellow Owners 73 Mavericks

4. scooper77515

scooper77515 No current projects.

Vehicle:
    Fresh out of Mavericks
    air shocks

I used some cheap air shocks from Autozone. Lifts the rear end up however high you want it.

I would attach a picture but my computer is messing up and I cant get this reply thing to work right.

5. courier11sec

courier11sec Member

Vehicle:
    '72 2d to hold my trailer down with.
    Airshocks not only don't work well, they are really tough on your shockmounts and could end up poking through into the trunk after too big a bump with a bunch of stuff in the car.