Custom Gauge Clusters

Discussion in 'General Maverick/Comet' started by Maverick_Ian90, Feb 12, 2019.

1. Maverick_Ian90

Maverick_Ian90 Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1975 Ford Maverick Grabber
    Does anyone have custom gauge clusters they'd like to share? The factory gauges on mine are shot and I'd like to get some ideas in the materials/gauges used out there. My end game is to have a tach, speedo, oil, water and volt meters.

Also, what, if any, are some experiences with AutoMeter.com? They're a name that keeps coming up, but I want to know some experiences anyone here have had.

2. BBMS18

BBMS18 Member

Vehicle:
    75 Comet
    What exactly is “shot” on your cluster? It only consistes of a speedo and idiot lights.

The following is the popular mod.

The red ones my buddies early cluster sporting a new tach, speedo rolled back to 0, 65-66 Mustang fuel gauge and LED bulbs, all tested and ready to install.
    8FC0A54F-0159-45F2-8BA9-4720DDA2BF84.jpeg

The blue ones for my 75, sporting a new tach, 71-73 Mustang fuel gauge, early speedo and late needles. I still have to purchase some LED’s & test all the lights for proper operation.
    4D74D01B-EBD3-42CD-A213-2B0974A17E81.jpeg

Here’s the link to the tach kit.
    https://www.facebook.com/jacks.tachs/

Otherwise the sky’s the limit, I had considered these.
    New Vintage USA
    EB4266D9-7854-4AC9-B8F9-845F6A5E0D0B.jpeg
    http://newvintageusallc.mybigcommerce.com/1969-series/
    I will still be using there 1969 Series oil pressure, water temp and volt gauges mounted in a custom console to complement the above pictured tach conversion cluster.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
  3. Maverick_Ian90

Maverick_Ian90 Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1975 Ford Maverick Grabber
    The speedo works, but only when I spin it with my hands. The cable was horribly installed. Also, the gas gauge doesn't work at all and the printed circuits on the back are starting to fall apart. I am thinking of switching to an electronic speedo.

4. BBMS18

BBMS18 Member

Vehicle:
    75 Comet
    If you keep a eye on the classifieds here or place a want ad you can find good condition affordable clusters. I just purchased one for $63 to my door.
    When you do the tach conversion you need to install a different fuel gauge and a 2nd speedo needle too.
    When we did the tach conversion on my friends early cluster he used some strategically placed super glue to repair his printed circuit.

It’s all going to hinge on how much you want to spend vs time spent converting & reconditioning yours.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019