Custom Paint Question

Discussion in 'Cosmetic' started by johnson, Apr 12, 2010.

1. johnson

johnson Member

Vehicle:
    69.5 maverick
    Im sitting here browsing around trying to find an answer and im getting no where. Im looking for a way to do a hidden design so to speak. Im wanting to do a design in just a metal flake or such. only thing i can think of is to go the old fashion way and mix it and shoot. im wondering if there is a rattle can out there. example: day time unless you are looking for it you dont see it. you drive pass someone at night and there headlights bring out the maverick logo on the side of your car.closest i have found is illuminite but thats glow in the dark paint that shines as long as it gets a full charge of daylight.

2. car-nut

car-nut Glenn

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick
    The big question I have is, what is the body color on the car going to be? Is your car already painted? Are you in the middle of painting it? Are you going to bury this graphic under the clear?

This is really easy to do actually. You will need a stencil of what ever design you want. Lay it on the car how ever you want it to look. Apply light coats of a pearl, remove mask and then clear the panel. The more pearl is sprayed the more it will show up. On a dark colored car it won't take much for you to see it. On a light colored car it will take more. If you have ever seen a car or motorcycle with Ghost flames then you have an idea what you will end up with. Difference being it won't be flames, it will be whatever your design is.

I usually have the local sign shop make me a stencil. they use what is called Gerber Mask. It has a light adhesion to it so it doesn't really stick too much on your car. Just right though. Give them a picture of what you want it to look like and they can make one no problem.

If you need any more help or I am not clear enough let me know. I have done this many times. In the picture below I was able to have my friends company logo made into a stencil and then sprayed it on his 32 Ford. They are ghost like. At certain angles they jump at you, and from others they aren't there at all. The flames are all free hand. Did the same thing with a friends Junior Dragster for his daughter. Had srencils cut for all the lettering and did the flames freehand.

Glenn

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 12, 2010
  3. Dave B

Dave B I like Mavericks!

Vehicle:
    3 Grabbers
    Ohhh, a vicky delivery....:drool:

4. brainsboy

brainsboy Member

I know exactly what you want. Assuming your doing the entire car, First is to paint the car in base coat. Second stage is tape off the logo, design, pattern of the image you want to spray. Now mix yourself a pint of clear. Add in house of colors rainbow mini flake. Do not add a lot of flakes! Spray the design you have and use a flash light on the image to see the amount of flakes once on the car. Re-spray until the desired amount of flake is reached. Now unmask the pattern and clearcoat the entire car with normal clearcoat. Based on the amount of flakes and coats you can control the amount you want to image to appear. Rainbow flakes only show a full sprectrum of rainbow colors over black. Here is a photo of a Suzuki samurai I built with a 408w, the entire car is painted with flakes and you can see how it behaves over different colors. Its not ghostly like you want but it can be made that way with the process I said above. When only painting your image and not using as many flakes as I did the images can be made to appear ghostly or only at certain directions as the car passes

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 12, 2010
  5. johnson

johnson Member

Vehicle:
    69.5 maverick
    awesome pictures. the car its self will be flat black and im thinking a dragon for my neice in the hidden design. nah it wont be on the mav but i figured this would be the place. thank you guys