Damaged Leather top

Discussion in 'Cosmetic' started by KidZero, Sep 24, 2009.

1. KidZero

KidZero Member

Vehicle:
    76' Maverick 4 door
    Damaged Leather top
    I recently bought a 76 ford maverick 4door with a leather top(dark brown/black). I just put some money into gettin the car runnin smooth and sounding great im about to work on the paint job. however the leather top is damaged and has lil spots were its been cut jsut a few here and there. So my question is, is it worth it to get this repaired and how much would it cost or should i have it removed and paint /seal over were it was. i dont know if this is possible or not as i am not familiar with this type of car.... or any for that matter im new at this any advice would help. ty ps. i accidently posted this in the technical forum.. sorry

2. cdeal28078

cdeal28078 Member

Vehicle:
    71 F100
    I doubt it is leather, more likely vinyl. A lot of people that have removed the vinyl tops have found severe rust problems under it. Some have not.
    Seems some of the cars were not primed and painted before the roofs were put on.
    If you like the looks of it I would replace it but be prepaired for what might be underneath it.
    Some people here have replaced them on their own and can give you more information
    clint

3. Dan Starnes

Dan Starnes Original owner

Vehicle:
    Stallion, 72 Grabber, Sprint, 77 4dr Maverick
    Sounds as if the top is dry rotting and there is no real way to repair what you have on there now. Replacing the top is going to cost $400.00 and up easily. While doing the paint work why not just remove the exising vinyl and paint the top. You can add a vinyl top again later if you so choose.