Detailing grille grid

Discussion in 'Cosmetic' started by Jeff S, May 18, 2009.

1. Jeff S

Jeff S Member

Vehicle:
    none
    Whats the most effective way of painting the horizontal grids across the grille and making it look professional?

I tried a while back with a very fine brush and silver paint and it didnt work out to well...still had over-bleed/uneven lines onto the top of the grid.

Are there any pictures here of one painted like that? Id like to see how it looks before I do it anyways.

2. Jean Doll

Jean Doll Maverick Restoration Tech

Vehicle:
    1977 Maverick 2 door with a 302.
    The way I paint a grill takes a bit of time, but it's well worth the effort. If the grill is black and silver, I'll clean and lightly sand the grill first. Then I'll spray on a coat or two of silver paint on all the areas that are supposed to be silver. Now comes the time consuming part. After the silver paint dries I tape off all the silver areas with masking tape and very thin fine line tape for the edges of the grill slats. Then I'll spray paint the rest of the grill semi-flat black, starting with the back of the grill first and then flipping it over and spraying the front. Be sure to get enough black paint on all four sides of the grill slats. When the black paint is dry just peel off the masking tape and fine line tape. If any of the silver paint peels off with the tape can be touched up with a small brush.The grill should look like brand new. As I said, it takes a bit of time to do it this way, but in the end all the silver lines will be straight and there will be no brush strokes in the paint.