Difference in decklid lip trim between '72 and '73

Discussion in 'Cosmetic' started by DJBerson, Oct 14, 2004.

1. DJBerson

DJBerson Member

Vehicle:
    1973 Maverick 2-door
    I am hoping somebody can explain the difference between decklid and side "eyebrow" lip trim from 72 to 73 model years. I have a '73 with a damaged lip molding. It has no eyebrow pieces (the little extensions on either side of the trunk). I suspect they were removed and the holes were filled in, but not sure. The car is NOT an LDO, but has the thin side molding package instead. Would my car have had the side pieces to match the decklid molding??
    Will these pieces fit from any other year or would this be a 1973 specific part?? Any info would be of great help. Thank you!

2. littleredtoy

littleredtoy Seth

Vehicle:
    '74 Comet GT
    No, it would not have always had the side moulding. I suppose many do, bu the Comet GT's have the decklid moulding and nothing on the sides. I have only seen one type of decklid moulding on '70-'73 cars.

Seth

3. Craig Selvey

Craig Selvey Indiana State Rep - MCCI

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick Grabber - Color: Orange Also, 1976 Ford Maverick 4-door, 1977 Mercury Comet 2-door.
    It seems to me that a lot of 1973 Mavericks had the chrome trim on the back as you describe...not sure if it came on all of them or not.

4. Mavaholic

Mavaholic Growing older but not up!

Vehicle:
    Original 72 Sprint Owner, 71 Comet GT, 57 Ranchwagon, 57 4 dr Wagon
    If your talking about the bright trim that goes across the back of the trunk and the matching end pieces that go on the quarter extensions (this what your calling eyebrows?), they are all the same for 71-73. Not sure if it came in 70 but if it did, it would also be the same. All the quarter extensions usually have dimples on the back side where it would be drilled out for the clips, that hold the trim, to bolt through. If you had the bright trim across the decklid, you had the matching pieces on the quarter extensions. Its a 3 piece set.