do I need to prime valve covers, oil pan before paint?

Discussion in 'Cosmetic' started by xpsnake, Jul 5, 2006.

1. xpsnake

xpsnake Bruce

Vehicle:
    1971 Ford Maverick 2-door
    As the title says, should I prime my valve covers or oil pan before paint? Additionally, do I need to do any prep on the block before I shoot it with eastwood ford blue?

2. dmhines

dmhines Dixie Maverick Boy

Vehicle:
    1971 Grabber / 2012 Mustang / 2009 Jeep Wrangler / 2013 Ducati / 2009 Buell XB12Scg
    If I remember ... I primed my Valve covers and oil pan ... not sure if it is necessary. The block and heads don't need primer ... it's a pretty rough surface and engine enamal stick well to it. Since the valve covers and oil pan are smooth primer would give you better adhesion ... Make sure your block and heads are thoroughly degreased for the best adhesion.

3. ModMav71

ModMav71 Member

Vehicle:
    1971 Maverick Grabber 98 DOHC Cobra engine w/5speed, 1974 Pinto 2.0 4speed daily driver.
    While your at it and have a grinder you can knock off some of those nasty casting edges. It will make the block look alot better and save you some skin (those things always cut me). And like he said, throughly degrease that block! If you think it's good do it again. It's really easy to miss some oil particals in the ruff surface of the block. As far as primer on the block since your using the eastwood enamel I dont think you have to prime. If you were using a regular urethane basecoat/clearcoat system you would prep the same way you would for bodywork. Oh and make sure whatever primer you use on the valve covers is compatible with your top coat!

4. Mavaholic

Mavaholic Growing older but not up!

Vehicle:
    Original 72 Sprint Owner, 71 Comet GT, 57 Ranchwagon, 57 4 dr Wagon
    I never have. Paint never flaked off.

5. T.L.

T.L. Banned

Vehicle:
    '73 Maverick 2-door, V-8
    I've never primed engine parts first.
    Eastwood stuff is great. I also love Dupli-Color. It dries quickly, and actually dries. Doesn't stay sticky for two weeks like VHT and others...

6. Jerryfow2

Jerryfow2 Member

Vehicle:
    1972 Grabber/1972 Sprint/1976 Stallion
    I agree. I have never primered the motor area and never had any real issues. I have my motor in the old light ford blue. That paint is hard to find. Last time I did it was 10 years ago and I used Napa paint. I have a few areas that need a touch up but that is about it.
    Don't know who makes it for them but that Napa stuff is pretty good!!
    Jerryfow2