Does Interior painting look good?

Discussion in 'Cosmetic' started by pong4117, Sep 5, 2006.

1. pong4117

pong4117 Member

Vehicle:
    73 Mav 4 Door
    I was reading this thread http://mmb.maverick.to/showthread.php?t=26087 and I was thinking about painting my interior as well and I was wondering if you Guys had any PICS? Does it turn out good or doesn't it look like your kid got in your car and colored it with a sharpie?
    Thanks

Ryan Lynch

2. cometkurt!

cometkurt! Member

Vehicle:
    red 74comet 351 windsor ps /db
    it depeands opn what paint or ink dye you use,just be carfull with the head liner or it will look like someone colored it with a sharpie!

3. Mavaholic

Mavaholic Growing older but not up!

Vehicle:
    Original 72 Sprint Owner, 71 Comet GT, 57 Ranchwagon, 57 4 dr Wagon
    All the interior pieces both plastic and metal were painted with the stuff I mentioned.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. cometkurt!

cometkurt! Member

Vehicle:
    red 74comet 351 windsor ps /db
    wow whats the stuff you mentioned! that looks sweet.iv never seen the inside of a sprint!

5. andruso13

andruso13 Member

Vehicle:
    71 maverick 4-door project
    Also, duplicolor now has spray paints for interiors. They will cover metal, plastics, even fabrics.:clap:

6. pong4117

pong4117 Member

Vehicle:
    73 Mav 4 Door
    So is there a certain sprayer u need to do this. How do u stop it from dripping?

7. maverick75

maverick75 Gotta Love Mavs!

Vehicle:
    The mav is gone but i'm still here!
  8. stmanser

stmanser Looking for a Maverick

i have been painting for 15 years... let me give you a little advice

before you start painting on a car, i suggest you do the following
    go to your friend's shop and watch him paint. offer to work there free to learn a little...

the reason i say this... after you got the outside painted and you want to do the inside... i would hate to see you screw it up

its great you want to learn... but painting takes years of practice to get it right. you need to learn to hold the spray gun straight, you need to know how to set your pattern, how much air to have, whether the paint is atomizing correctly. whether the paint is orange peeling...is the viscosity of the paint is too thick or too thin...etc....

i would suggest you practice.. go buy a cheap spray gun and some paint and a piece of metal and start by sanding the metal... clean it... put some primer on it and then some paint...

the dripping you are referring to are called runs or sags... when this happens, it is because you put too much paint on in too short a period or your gun was too close to the part being painted.... all painters get runs and sags, the trick is to keep them to a minimum...;)

i have mentioned this to a lot of my friends before...
    get in touch with your local community college... most of them offer a welding class, and some offer a paint class... make sure it is for automotive paint or industrial painting, house painting wont really help you since they use rollers, and you should never paint a car with a roller. hehehh

enroll in the class and learn how to paint... i was taught by the air force... and i have painted over 100 aircraft... F-16s, c-130s, and a-10s and i have painted 4 cars. and of course a few hundred wheels for the above aircraft, gloss white on landing gear, ground equipment, tool boxes and everything else that you can imagine that would need to be painted in the military.

i will be painting my maverick, just as soon as i can afford the 1300 it will take to get my body work done. i dont like body work, but give me a car ready to be painted and i can paint all day long.. i love painting... just hate body work

good luck

IM me if you have any specific questions

Last edited: Oct 1, 2006