Door Panels

Discussion in 'Cosmetic' started by Hawkco, Jul 22, 2005.

1. Hawkco

Hawkco Genuine Car Nut

Vehicle:
    77 Maverick
    I'm working on some door panels with the wood grain. I'm changing the color from tan to white. I want to remove the rest of the chrome foil off the trim. A good bit is already gone from years of use and I want to get down to the bare palstic so that I can paint the trim. Anybody know a good quick way to peel off this foil without hurting the plastic trim it is stuck to?

Here's a couple of pics. The first one is close-up of the foil covered trim. The other is what the panel looks like dyed white.

Attached Files:

2. dmhines

dmhines Dixie Maverick Boy

Vehicle:
    1971 Grabber / 2012 Mustang / 2009 Jeep Wrangler / 2013 Ducati / 2009 Buell XB12Scg
    Take strong tape ... like a strip of duct tape and press it down hard on the chrome. When you remove the duct tape if the chrome is in bad shape it should come right off with it ...

Looks great in white!

3. Hawkco

Hawkco Genuine Car Nut

Vehicle:
    77 Maverick
    Thanks, Dan. I gave up on the tape idea when the masking I used to cover the woord and palstic didn't pull it off. I didn't think about it not beung a strong enough tape.

I'm going to use white door panels and the white seats with the blue interior in my blue '73 Grabber. My uncle's '69 Camaro came from the factory that way and I'm going to try it in the Maverick. If is doesn't work, I'll paint the panels blue and buy Mustang seat covers.

4. dmhines

Vehicle:
    1971 Grabber / 2012 Mustang / 2009 Jeep Wrangler / 2013 Ducati / 2009 Buell XB12Scg
    That chrome must be still on pretty good ... I masked a set of those panels once to paint. When I pulled the masking tape off half the chrome came with it ... I figured if masking to half off then duct would take it all off ... Pretty tough putting anything caustic or hot on their because you'll screw up the vinyl ...

5. Acornridgeman

Acornridgeman MCCI Wisconsin State Rep Moderator Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    70 Maverick Grabber, 72 Maverick Grabber Restomod
    I like the way the white looks too (y)

I've had good success with a product called GOO GONE for loosening old tape glue like the chrome tape. Might take wiping it down several times a day for a couple days. Believe it or not - WD40 works too at softening up old sticky stuff. Repeated applications and working it off a little at a time.

For a really classy shine, you might want to try that foil modeling chrome tape to restore the look instead of paint. Either way, those are gonna be some sharp panels!

Eric J

6. NICK DOMINICK

NICK DOMINICK MCCI Virginia State rep.

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1972 Grabber 302, 1973 Maverick my first car that is under restoration, 1972 Grabber and 1976 Maverick parts cars, 2012 Mustang GT, 2001 Lightning
    Grind it off!!!:D Ha Ha!! The white looks awesome!! I use a little pocket knife that has a non sharp blade. You could also use an old small screwdriver and grind it down to where it is rounded and dull.

7. Dan Starnes

Dan Starnes Original owner

Vehicle:
    Stallion, 72 Grabber, Sprint, 77 4dr Maverick
    Looks real nice white Terry. My plastic chrome just was barely coming off and it was driving me nuts. Took all of about 10 minutes to remove all from both door panels. Basically fell off when I started tugging on it. Goo gone is good advice,, should work.
    Dan

8. Jamie Miles

Jamie Miles the road warrior

Vehicle:
    13 Mavericks
    I think them are gonna look real good in there Terry! :thumbs2:

What color door handles are you putting in? I think blue to match the rest of the blue interior would really pull things together.

9. dmhines

Vehicle:
    Stay with all white on the doors ...

Last edited: Feb 11, 2009
  10. Hawkco

Hawkco Genuine Car Nut

Vehicle:
    77 Maverick
    Jamie and Dan, I had already laid a blue armrest on the panel tonight, and I thought it looked kind of "pimpy." The armrests will be white. Besides, the wife and oldest daughter went "ewooooooh" :eek: when they saw the blue handle on the white panel.

11. Jamie Miles

Vehicle:
    13 Mavericks
    I retract my above statement then. It looked good in my head at least. :)

12. Margandc

Margandc Member

Vehicle:
    75 Maverick 2dr
    all white looks amazing!! As for the chrome I dont think there's an easy way. Just a whole lot of patience. What would the chrome look like if it was just painted over??

13. Jamie Miles

Vehicle:
    13 Mavericks
    It would look exactly the same as if you removed the chrome. The problem Terry is haveing though is his chrome is peeling up and if he were to just remove the loose chrome, not only would you be able to see it in the paint, but after a while the rest of the chrome would probably start peeling up also.

14. Margandc

Margandc Member

Vehicle:
    75 Maverick 2dr
    oh ok now I know where you're going with this. I wish I could help but I dont know of any easy way to get that stuff off. The dull screwdriver is worth a try-not a bad idea. If tape isn't strong enough though maybe you could mix it up and put some krazy glue on it. I know it sounds a little crazy but you wouldn't have to worry about the tape coming off. Then again I wouldn't want to get any of that stuff on the vinyl plus it might rip something else.

15. Hawkco

Hawkco Genuine Car Nut

Vehicle:
    77 Maverick
    I'm pretty sure paint will not stick to the foil that is on the plastic.