Drip rails are full of...???

Discussion in 'Cosmetic' started by klynam, Dec 19, 2011.

1. klynam

klynam Member

Vehicle:
    1975 Maverick
    We continue to find "residue" from our Maverick's long life in the Pacific Northwest.

The rails themselves seem very solid; at least when I push and pull on them (with quite a bit of force) they dont squeak or flex at all. Also, all the stainless is in place and in excellent overall condition.

But...the drip rails seem to be full of something on the front and rear slopes - bondo maybe? - that is beginning to lift up in places with some rusty-ish goop visible underneath.

Two questions:

What is the best technique to rout out any (or all) of whatever is in there?

Also, aside from metal work, what better goop should I use to refill them and hopefully get a few more years of service?

2. Dave B

Dave B I like Mavericks!

Vehicle:
    3 Grabbers
    If it's separating, you'll need to scrape it out and fix the rust underneath. Use a flat blade screwdriver, and only remove what you have to.
    It's hard to find something to replace it with, seam sealer isn't as hard, maybe panel bonding adhesive would work.

3. Craig Selvey

Craig Selvey Indiana State Rep - MCCI

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick Grabber - Color: Orange Also, 1976 Ford Maverick 4-door, 1977 Mercury Comet 2-door.
    There is a flexible type "caulk" marterial in there...put on by the factory. I would not do anything to it unless you plan on repainting the entire car.

You can scape out ALL the old caulk, fix any rust issue, and replace with the same type of material. (Not sure what that is...somebody on here might chime in). DO NOT fill the entire gutter up with new "caulk". If you do this.....water will run off the roof and instead of going into the gutter...will go right inside the car if the windows are down. This happened to me on another car I had.

4. klynam

klynam Member

Vehicle:
    1975 Maverick
    Not planning on repainting any time soon but I am concerned about what may be happening underneath where it's pulling up...???

5. Craig Selvey

Craig Selvey Indiana State Rep - MCCI

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick Grabber - Color: Orange Also, 1976 Ford Maverick 4-door, 1977 Mercury Comet 2-door.

If that is the case....I would "let that sleeping dog lie".