Driver side mirror

Discussion in 'Cosmetic' started by hooperm26, Mar 23, 2010.

1. hooperm26

hooperm26 New Member

Vehicle:
    1974 Comet
    I bought a 1974 comet not to long ago. The driver side mirror glass is missing. There is nothing inside to attach a new glass to. Am i just SOL and need to find a whole new mirror?

2. CaptainComet

CaptainComet Large Member

Vehicle:
    72 Comet
    Hi,

:Welcome: to the board.

Two scenarios here ... if it is just the glass broken out of it and the controls and inner works are still there, replacement glass is available on eBay. Probably less than $10 IIRC.

It looks from your avatar picture that you have the chrome mirror on there. If so, a lot of guys here should have a replacement for cheap. A lot of us swap to the sports mirrors (like on Mustangs from the era), and will have a chrome one sitting in a box in the garage. Post an ad in parts wanted here.

Is it a manual mirror or does it have a remote controller? Manual is easy ... remote is just a bit more involved ...

If the guts of the mirror are missing (broken controller, etc), you are probably going to be better off replacing the whole mirror. Changing the inner workings out is a test of patience ... there are three cables that have to be uncrimped and then re-crimped ... it is a pretty big PIA. I have done it to save a sports mirror ... probably not worth your time for the standard one.

To change out a drivers mirror, you will need to pop the interior panel off of the door, so that you can route the control cable.... it goes inside the door, in front of the glass. Do a search here for tips on removing the panel ... not difficult but it can be a bit fragile ... right tools make all the difference. The surround on the control knob is threaded and will spin off. Make sure to keep track of the sheet metal washer/cup that is on the back of the controller .... easy to drop it inside the door and miss it. It keeps the controller locked into place. Later cars seem to have had that ... early cars had it stamped into the door itself.