Duplicolor (or any can) any good?

Discussion in 'Cosmetic' started by YellowStangDuan, Dec 21, 2010.

1. YellowStangDuan

YellowStangDuan Member

Vehicle:
    71 Grabber
    Not using it for the outside, just like door jambs, and around body parts before I put them back on, under the trunk, ect... I'm having to do this a little at a time, and I need to also cover body work/rust work untill I can get it painted. Then where there were repairs made, sand back to the metal and prime with the proper stuff. Make sense?

2. blugene

blugene Senior member Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    73 Comet GT, 72 Comet GT, 2008 "Comet" (our boxer, who is now in the galaxies)
    I was thinking about asking the Sherwin Williams if they have the color I am intrested in and if they do I am sure they can can it. They already told me I would have to buy a case as far as cans. I had asked in the past about a different paint. I only needed 1 can so they showed me the bottle and pressure can and that works great for smaller mix your own stuff. A case for my car I think is worth asking about.

3. YellowStangDuan

YellowStangDuan Member

Vehicle:
    71 Grabber
    I'm going to do a current factory Ford color, Redfire, so it should be easy to do.

4. DVCRobin

DVCRobin Member

Vehicle:
    1976 Maverick
    I was thinking of doing a similar thing too. I wanted to paint the door jambs and other areas that don't show. Then let a professional paint everything that actually shows. I don't want to pay the $100 per door jamb that they want. I figure the current grabber blue would be easy to find.

5. blugene

blugene Senior member Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    73 Comet GT, 72 Comet GT, 2008 "Comet" (our boxer, who is now in the galaxies)
    Sherwin Williams on 121 in Lewisville just told me it's $8-$12 a can no minimum quantity. They need a couple of hours lead time and having the code helps with the search. This is what I'm doing next spring.

6. Gene Fiore

Gene Fiore Member

Vehicle:
    1971 Grabber, 1970 Maverick Drag Car(sold)
    You can also buy Ford paint colors on-line from this company. I used them to rattle can my engine compartment. As long as you can get the paint color number from your door jamb you can do a lookup on this site by year and make. Just be aware that this paint is base paint and will be a flat finish. You will have to clear over the top of it.

http://www.automotivetouchup.com/

Last edited: Jan 6, 2011
  7. Cleaver

Cleaver Member

Vehicle:
    Chel
    NAPA sells sealer primer in a rattle can that is real good. I have used it just like you are saying....when you are doing body work a little at a time. It seals out the water and moisture from the air until you can get around to real paint. You have to scuff it with a scotchbrite when you are ready for topcoat.

Cleaver

8. YellowStangDuan

YellowStangDuan Member

Vehicle:
    71 Grabber
    I'll have to check that out!

9. mavgrab302

mavgrab302 MCCI Florida State Rep

Vehicle:
    71 Maverick Grabber
    They do have the older colors,looked up brt red for my 71.. 19.95 per can for base paint 12oz can.... could be a good way to do jams though...