Duplicolor Truck Bed Liner

Discussion in 'Cosmetic' started by Acornridgeman, Feb 24, 2006.

1. Acornridgeman

Acornridgeman MCCI Wisconsin State Rep Moderator Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    70 Maverick Grabber, 72 Maverick Grabber Restomod
    I have decided to use truck bed liner on various parts of my car, one place I'm considering is the engine compartment. I picked up a couple cans of the Duplicolor spray on bed liner and something caught my attention. Nowhere on the can does it say anything about being resistent to oil and gasoline. :hmmm:

So I called the Duplicolor tech 800 line and asked them if it will stand up to oil, gasoline, fuels, battery acid - all that good stuff that it might come in contact with in an engine bay (and a truck bed for that matter). They said, no! It will soften and bubble up if exposed to those things. They said it is OK to use it for wheel wells, running boards and trunks, but don't use it in the engine compartment or anywhere else that fuels may come in contact with it.

I then checked with Herculiner about their roll on product, and it says that it is made to come in contact with oils and fuels without damage.

Something I thought other people considering the use of bed liner might be interested in knowing.

Eric J

2. Yellow72Mavrick

Yellow72Mavrick Banned

Vehicle:
    1977 maverick 2 door ( my sons) 250 c4
    thats why I didn't use it in the engine bay, but works good on inner fenders, floors and trunk....

3. Mavaholic

Mavaholic Growing older but not up!

Vehicle:
    Original 72 Sprint Owner, 71 Comet GT, 57 Ranchwagon, 57 4 dr Wagon
    The next car I do will have the whole bottom sprayed with the stuff. I'll probably go with a professional company though.

4. waynes fords

waynes fords Member

Vehicle:
    1973 grabber,2004 ford dually,2000 gulfstream motorhome,2003 ford expedition,66 mustang gt
    one day I'll afford a rotisere and can spray the bottoms of vehicles to do just such a job,but for now I'll just have to spray trucks and things that I can spray from the ground and keep saving some $$$$$. if you are going to the trouble to have a car sprayed then by all means have a professional do it! these little kits that roll on or brush on or spray out of a can just don't work for large areas and over time will not hold up, the product goes on so thin that most of the time you are wasting your time.

5. tomeriker

tomeriker Member

Vehicle:
    1972 maverick project..
    AAARRRRGGGG!!! I just finished painting my engine bay with that stuff!! Looks really good too.. Well, off it comes.. Thanks for the info, I am about ready to put the engine back in..

6. 71gold

71gold Frank Cooper Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    '73 Grabber
    good info, from someone that does this for a living (y) thanks for the heads up...frank...:bouncy:

7. Acornridgeman

Acornridgeman MCCI Wisconsin State Rep Moderator Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    70 Maverick Grabber, 72 Maverick Grabber Restomod
    Before you strip it off and start over, call the Duplicolor tech line - 1-800-247-3270 and tell them what you did. Ask them if you can spray something over it to protect it. Maybe a semi-gloss black enamel or one of the hammer finish coats. They might have an idea.
    If they don't, I'd call the Herculiner brand 1-877-HERCULINER and see if their product can go over the top of the Duplicolor product and hold. The Herculiner product is fuel resistant.

That's what I would do before stripping it out. :2cents:

8. tomeriker

tomeriker Member

Vehicle:
    1972 maverick project..
    That sounds better than stripping.. will call herculiner..