DuPont Ful-Thane? Paint ??'s

Discussion in 'Cosmetic' started by CACollo, Feb 24, 2006.

1. CACollo

CACollo Member

Vehicle:
    1969.5 Maverick
    Looks like my car is going to be sitting a while, so i've decided to spend some free time getting it down to bare metal, then painting it myself.

I might be slightly influenced by the Car Craft article on painting your car yourself, but i'd like to give it a go. Here's what i'm looking for:
    -Durable
    -Shiny
    -Easy to repair
    -Can be sprayed in my own garage
    -Does NOT have to be show-car quality, but needs to hold up for quite a few years without fading
    Is the DuPont Ful-Thane a good choice for this? Are there others that are better for similar prices? I don't mind spending a little more for better, but i'm not in the base/clear price range right now.

2. Mavaholic

Mavaholic Growing older but not up!

Vehicle:
    Original 72 Sprint Owner, 71 Comet GT, 57 Ranchwagon, 57 4 dr Wagon
    If your going to go with a metallic, 2 stage is the only way to paint. And its much easier to get a nice finish than single stage. My choice for solid colors is single stage paint. You can sand and buff it just like a clear coat and you'll never have to worry about buffing through the clear. I'm not familiar with the DuPont line.

3. CACollo

CACollo Member

Vehicle:
    1969.5 Maverick
    I've heard all the horror stories about "tiger stripes" with the metallic, so i think i'm going to stick with a burnt orange right now.
    Do you have recommendations other than the dupont line?

4. grbmaverickmo

grbmaverickmo That Maverick Guy

Vehicle:
    70 grabber.71 4dr v-8 stick.72 Sprint
    I like PPG Concept line for solid colors.

5. Dan Starnes

Dan Starnes Original owner

Vehicle:
    Stallion, 72 Grabber, Sprint, 77 4dr Maverick
    I have used just about every brand of paint over the last 30 some odd years that I been sloshing the stuff on. Dupont, PPG are both great and you wont go wrong with either, they are my 2 favorite. The Dupont one you refer to is not something I am familiar with, but guessing it is a single stage urethane. Solid color, I say go with that, metallic and if you are not experieinced, go with a base/clear. I will get that issue of Car Craft this weekend and check it out now that you have reminded me.
    Dan

6. NICK DOMINICK

NICK DOMINICK MCCI Virginia State rep.

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1972 Grabber 302, 1973 Maverick my first car that is under restoration, 1972 Grabber and 1976 Maverick parts cars, 2012 Mustang GT, 2001 Lightning
    Dan, what do you think of House of Color?

7. Mavaholic

Mavaholic Growing older but not up!

Vehicle:
    Original 72 Sprint Owner, 71 Comet GT, 57 Ranchwagon, 57 4 dr Wagon
    They got some really neat colors but they are extremely expensive. The quality is just as good as any name brand. Is it worth 3 times as much? You be the judge. I have a friend with a 38 Ford. Beautiful car and painted with Hose of Color (not misspelled in my book), yellow. He told me base paint alone was $1800.

8. NICK DOMINICK

NICK DOMINICK MCCI Virginia State rep.

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1972 Grabber 302, 1973 Maverick my first car that is under restoration, 1972 Grabber and 1976 Maverick parts cars, 2012 Mustang GT, 2001 Lightning
    The color I want to use for The Mav is a Hose of Kolor paint. Tangelo!!! I know it is big $$$$$$$$$$$ but that is what I want. More overtime!!!

9. Dan Starnes

Vehicle:
    House of color is really a standard of the custom paint crowd. Cool colors right out of the can. Overpriced in my opinion, but sometimes just being able to find the exact color you want is worth some big bucks, and being able to have a reference to it down the road when the inevitble repair is needed.
    Dan

10. Acornridgeman

Acornridgeman MCCI Wisconsin State Rep Moderator Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    70 Maverick Grabber, 72 Maverick Grabber Restomod
    Dan, what do you think of clear coating over a single stage like Centari?

11. CACollo

CACollo Member

Vehicle:
    1969.5 Maverick
    Can't they match any color with any brand of paint (i.e. Dupont)? I've been wanting to paint my Mav the same color as my mountain bike, i was thinking i could just take a paint chip in and have it duplicated... If that's the case, couldn't you just do the same with "tangelo" and save a ton?

Re: message above/clear coating, i was looking into the same thing. I saw something on here where someone recommended putting down a base (color), a 50/50 mix of clear & color, and then a final layer of clear only. Sounded like a good idea to me :huh:

12. Dan Starnes

Vehicle:
    I am actually working on some old centari right now. Could not get the original centari mixed again, so matched it against some paint chips. What I am working on is a rusted up truck I restored many years ago. It has been out in the elements and does not get babied, gets used like a truck should. I will do the base color and blend, then I will scuff the entire truck and clear it. Have done it before with decent results.
    Dan

13. Acornridgeman

Acornridgeman MCCI Wisconsin State Rep Moderator Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    70 Maverick Grabber, 72 Maverick Grabber Restomod
    Interesting. I was thinking of using the Centari, polish sanding it to remove any imperfections, and then using clear over it to get the deep shine.

14. Dan Starnes

Vehicle:
    While we are thread stealing,, first an answer to another question. Take your mountain bike to an auto paint store, they can match it with different methods.
    I would not spray clear over fresh centari. Centari or any acrylic enamel takes forever to cure. Since I dont have a paint booth or oven, my stuff cures via the sun on good days, (works pretty good) or by time, works very slow. Centari in my opinion can take a month to cure in my area. I dont like to mess with it for six months after I have painted it. But, to mess you up more, I have color sanded it after 12 hours and then waited days and weeks to buff it.
    Dan

15. tomeriker

tomeriker Member

Vehicle:
    1972 maverick project..
    just thinking out loud.... I think what gives the House of Kolor paint it's effect is that it uses a Base Coat, then a Tinted Clear, then a Clear??? Couldn't you just buy a PPG or Dupont BC/CC paint and have the paint store tint some of the clear with the same color as your base???? They have ways to match any color....