Duraspark ignition is wired, it runs...but is it right?

Discussion in 'Technical' started by predfan2001, May 10, 2010.

1. predfan2001

predfan2001 David in Tn

Vehicle:
    70 Mav 75 Comet 64 Comet 68 Mustang
    Desided to make another thread and delete the other one since it was so confusing. The subject is that I just dropped a complete 77 model 250 into my 70 Maverick. The 77 model was complete with Duraspark II ignition so I have to wire it up.

I was going by the schematics posted here and Fordsix....but here's where I'm at. I bought a new blue grommet module and plugged it into the main harness. Then I ran the white wire to the starter solenoid for timing retard on start up. This is where I got lost...I understood that there was a pink resistance wire that is connected to the ign. switch that provides a 12v run supply that could be cut just about 4" away from the switch and then a new non-resistance wire could be ran to the module. I got under the dash to have a look and the only 12v pink wire I see goes into the ign. switch connector and comes out red/yellow?? So if I cut that, I'm going to loose power to something else I think...the printed circuit if I looked at the wiring diagram right.

[​IMG]

So for the heck of it, I checked to plug under the hood that fed the original points coil. I got 12v with the key on?? So I ran a temporary wire from that to the module and split off a wire to the coil. It started and seems to run fine. So I went back and checked the wire again and it was getting 6.3v. I was told that variance has to do with current flow in the coil when the engine isn't running so I checked it again while the engine was running...10.35v.

So I guess these are my questions:

1. Will it be ok that way?

2. Should I use that supply for the coil only and hunt a stronger supply for the module? If so, from where and how?

3. Am I checking this wrong? Maybe I need to back up and punt!

I have read about this all over the internet and keep seeing conflicting information. Any help would be appreciated....I just want to make sure it is right. :huh:

2. predfan2001

predfan2001 David in Tn

Vehicle:
    So this is the diagram I am going by:

[​IMG]

I'm assuming it is saying to splice a new wire into the the section of pink of wire that runs between the ign. switch and the ign. switch connector (about 6" long...not the resistance wire).

The more I read the more confused I am getting. Someone suggested that doing it this way would cause the ign. switch to overheat. If that's the case a bunch of people are going to be mad at Mustangsteve.

I'm just wanting find where the best place for me to get a 12v supply to my module.

3. predfan2001

predfan2001 David in Tn

Vehicle:
    I've been fishing for Duraspark wiring info in a couple forums and it seems that everyone recommends adding a relay for a 12v supply. That way I have a sure 12v supply to the module and I guess I'll go ahead with a 12v Accel Super Stock coil for good measure. This is what I've come up with unless I hear there's something wrong....it's a little jumbled up but you get the idea.

[​IMG]

4. FordsForever

FordsForever Member

Vehicle:
    74 mav
    Whatever you do, DON'T cut the pink wire or try to splice into it. You will have problems. Splice into the short wire between it and the ign sw. Or if it has a connector, fab' up a 'Y' and connect into that.

Or forget the whole thing and get a Pertronix III and install that instead. Gives you an electronic ign with adjustable rev limiter and has multi-strike capability through the entire rpm range. And it's totally hidden inside the dist. Looks clean and totally stock.

RS

Last edited: May 13, 2010
  5. predfan2001

predfan2001 David in Tn

Vehicle:
    When I say pink wire, everyone instantly thinks I'm refering to the resistor wire....but I was wanting to tap the short pink wire from my ign switch (again not the resistor wire) to the connector. But I have read where people claimed this would cause excessive load in the ign switch or could cause the actual resistor wire to get hot. At this point (not being real knowledgable about electronics), I don't know what to believe. It sure would be easier to tap that wire but I'd don't want any problems. I've tossed this issue around several forums and I feel about 75% of what I read is BS!

6. FordsForever

FordsForever Member

Vehicle:
    74 mav
    Tapping into the short wire from the ign sw to the pink resistor wire is the correct place to connect. You will have no problems that way. :thumbs2:

RS

7. predfan2001

predfan2001 David in Tn

Vehicle:
    Thanks. That's really what I want to do to ease hook up. Plus I really don't want all of the clutter under the hood from extra wiring and relays. I have the coil and module hooked to the old coil input for now and it does start and run. The car is a long way from being driveable so I have plenty of time to make up my mind.