Dyeing armrests??

Discussion in 'Cosmetic' started by NICK DOMINICK, Nov 12, 2003.

1. NICK DOMINICK

NICK DOMINICK MCCI Virginia State rep.

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1972 Grabber 302, 1973 Maverick my first car that is under restoration, 1972 Grabber and 1976 Maverick parts cars, 2012 Mustang GT, 2001 Lightning
    Has anyone successfully dyed an arm rest? If so, what products did you use.?

2. Tim Wilmoth

Tim Wilmoth Member

Vehicle:
    1972 Comet gt
    Did mine

Did mine in white along with the doors . I know I bought it at Auto zone . I will check tommorrow and see the brand and post it. I think Wes had a line on some real good dye. Do a search for it . It wasnt to awful long ago. Later Tim "my comet gt"

3. Wes

Wes Maverick Police Dept.

Vehicle:
    '76 Maverick Stallion '76 Maverick Metro Police K-9
    I had good luck with Plasti-Cote dye products. They come in the rattle cans and are available most places like Pep Boys. The color choices are limited, though. Now, I'm taking a more professional tack on the dying I need to do with the 4 door. I'm restoring the original color and this calls for diferent as it's medium poly blue, no rattle cans available.

I went to a body shop supply and took a piece of the seat material. They were able to easily match the exact color of the interior very closely. This dye is bought by the pint or quart and you use a sprayer to put it on. Any good supplier should be able to do the same thing for anyone of you. You do a 1:1 mix with thinner in the spray gun.

Two cautions for doing this process whichever way you go, store bought cans or professional dyes. The material being dyed needs to be VERY clean with no residue. This makes for good coverage with a minimal chance of peeling. Also, you need to wipe the material down just before you shoot it with a vinyl prep. The vinyl prep is essential, as I found out the hard way once. This is also available from the suppliers. This deep cleans the material and opens the pores to better accept the dye. The process is no different whether it is harder plastics like the interior panels or softer like door panels or seats

When you actually get to spraying the dye, use very light coats until you get the desired coverage. Dye will run and splotch just like any paint will. Dyes dry relatively fast so it will not take a lot of time to do multiple coats. Let each coat dry between coats.

It's been 2 years since I dyed the interior panels that I had in the Stallion and they have gone to another Mav owner since and look like new still. This was with the Plasti-Cote product.

Just take your time and don't get impatient to finish the job and you will easily have professional results. :clap:

4. NICK DOMINICK

NICK DOMINICK MCCI Virginia State rep.

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1972 Grabber 302, 1973 Maverick my first car that is under restoration, 1972 Grabber and 1976 Maverick parts cars, 2012 Mustang GT, 2001 Lightning
    Thanks Wes! I have dyed a lot of hard plastic but wasn't sure how it would hold up to a plyable item. Guess I'll give it a shot. Out of curiosity, seeing as though you live in western PA., do you love the Steelers as much as I do?

5. Wes

Wes Maverick Police Dept.

Vehicle:
    '76 Maverick Stallion '76 Maverick Metro Police K-9
    Nobody loves them lately, with their record. This is a town that hates sports teams that lose. All you have to do is look at the attendance at Pirate games and you see that. As for myself, I like football, but my passion is motorsports.