Dyeing vinyl and Fabrics

Discussion in 'Cosmetic' started by CornedBeef4.6L, Feb 9, 2006.

1. CornedBeef4.6L

CornedBeef4.6L no longer here

Vehicle:
    no longer here
    Any body got any pointers, I scored some sweet seats for the "War Machine"
    They are in great shape but are gray. I want them black. I ahev no problem having them recoverd but thought this may be an alterenative. Thanks for the info.

2. tomeriker

tomeriker Member

Vehicle:
    1972 maverick project..
    Dyeing

I have a set of grey buckets in mine now that I spay dyed black.. looks good.. I bought the dye at Auto zone.. I am getting ready to put a set of beige seats in now and will dye them also.. love the stuff..:clap:

3. Hawkco

Hawkco Genuine Car Nut

Vehicle:
    77 Maverick
    Two words: clean and saturation.

The seats must be totally clean. Use 3M Adhesive, Grease, and Wax remover over the entire area. Go to an autobody supply house and buy SEM products. Use the Vinyl Prep and then the color of your choice. My local suppliy house can custom mix the SEM dyes and put it in a quart can. If you do this, you can use your spray gun and get a better, more thorough saturation.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2006
  4. Wes

Wes Maverick Police Dept.

Vehicle:
    '76 Maverick Stallion '76 Maverick Metro Police K-9
    Terry's got the best advice. I've used both rattle cans and the pro stuff and the pro stuff has by far the best results. I bought a touch up spray gun for the compressor and the small things do a great job with dyes. The cleaning process is very important. Using 'Vinyl Prep" is equally important to prevent poor adhesion and later peeling. The prep slightly softens the vinyl or plastic and prepares the surface to accept the dye. I've even been able to to dye seat covers successfully without cracking by using the prep solution first. Thin coats work the best and make for a factory like finish. I've been able to use only two coats to get a full and perfect finish using this process. No reason why you cannot also.

5. CornedBeef4.6L

CornedBeef4.6L no longer here

Vehicle:
    no longer here
    Thanks for the tips:)