Ebay paint systems

Discussion in 'Cosmetic' started by cdeal28078, Mar 16, 2009.

1. cdeal28078

cdeal28078 Member

Vehicle:
    71 F100
    I figure it is probably mostly junk but has anybody used any of the paint kits all over Ebay?
    Such as this if the link works.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/AUTO...ryZ63702QQihZ013QQitemZ230228803032QQtcZphoto
    I know it wouldn't be the best paint but for less than $100 if it would last a couple of years it might be worth it
    When I painted my 71 F100 about 8 years ago I used paint from a local store called Omni. I think it was by PPG. Just for a single stage I paid around $400 for paint and all other chemicals needed. It still looks good though.
    clint

2. TUK101

TUK101 Member

Vehicle:
    72 Maverick 4dr/302 V8, 1963 Ford Custom 500 inline 6
    I have been wondering about the same thing. I was leaning more towards the $200 complete urethane kit though. Comes with everything but a gun to paint with.

3. Acornridgeman

Acornridgeman MCCI Wisconsin State Rep Moderator Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    70 Maverick Grabber, 72 Maverick Grabber Restomod
    Skip the third party resellers on ebay and go right to the source. Trinity 1945

http://www.paintforcars.com/

I have used these paint products and have had excellent life out of them. NOT to be confused with high end paints - but they are very good for the money. There are several guys on this board that have painted their cars with this paint from Trinity.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2009
  4. cdeal28078

cdeal28078 Member

Vehicle:
    71 F100
    Thank you. I need to paint my daughter's 96 Mustang and will give them a shot. Nice to hear from somebody that has used them first hand.
    I'll practice on her's before I do the maverick. lol
    I'll sure skip Ebay and go straight to the vendeor like you say.
    clint

5. Acornridgeman

Acornridgeman MCCI Wisconsin State Rep Moderator Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    70 Maverick Grabber, 72 Maverick Grabber Restomod
    On this board, I think fan2488 painted his car with it. Maybe he can tell you more about it.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2009
  6. TUK101

TUK101 Member

Vehicle:
    Thanks for the link.

7. TUK101

TUK101 Member

Vehicle:
    Dude, I just checked out their prices and I can get my paint, primer tinted in the color that I am painting with and the reducer all shipped for less than just a gallon of the same type (not brand) of paint that my local supplier sells all shipped to my door. I am thinking that it is worth a shot. Now I just need to find a booth to shoot in.

8. cdeal28078

cdeal28078 Member

Vehicle:
    71 F100
    That is what got me looking at them. If the paint if of half way decent quality it will be worth the savings to me. Don't get me wrong, I want a 1st class show car but with my money I will be doing EVFERYTHING myself so I have to save money where I can.
    clint

9. Mavman72

Mavman72 Gone backwards but lookin' forward

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick 2 door.Original V-8 3 spd std shift.Also a 72 one owner Sprint sporting a 351 Windsor
    Allmost Any paint product can look first class.Its the prep done before the paint that makes it look good.

10. TUK101

TUK101 Member

Vehicle:
    I am in the same boat. I am not even after 100% show quality since that would require replacing trim, chrome, window seals and tons of other things that I just cannot float the $$ for. But, I do want paint that will stay on the car for years, paint that I can make spot repairs on reasonably easily to where it will match and paint that will paint fairly easily without too many steps. So what they advertise on http://www.paintforcars.com/
    looks as if it will work for me. I mean, paint, primer, and the reducers and activators all for under $200 almost seems too good to be true. But I think that I will be taking a gamble and giving it a shot.

11. Mavman72

Mavman72 Gone backwards but lookin' forward

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick 2 door.Original V-8 3 spd std shift.Also a 72 one owner Sprint sporting a 351 Windsor
    Just be sure to follow the instructions to the letter.At least its a complete paint system (no mixing and matching products)thats a very important aspect of it.Good luck and let us know how it turns out!!

12. ford84stepside

ford84stepside Lone Wolf

Vehicle:
    1947 Lincoln Zephyr Coupe
    Clint, I have used the paint from Trinity 1945, I bought a kit off of eBay. I painted a church van with it, and it came out real good. I used the synthetic enamel. I also used their primer so everything was the same brand. Only problems I had was their shipping was really slow, it took three weeks to get it. I plan on using it again to paint the Mav one of these days....

13. TUK101

TUK101 Member

Vehicle:
    I just purchased the kit a few minutes ago. I went with the acrylic enamel in omaha orange. Don't ask me why I chose that color, it was a family decision and nobody wanted to see my car in yellow anymore lol. I figure orange with black accents will look good. Anyways, $185 shipped to my door for a complete paint system with 1 gal paint, 1 gal primer, 1gal clear and all the reducer and catylists, strainers, stirring sticks and some chintzy masks seems like a pretty good deal. Heck, Napa was going to charge me $180 just for primer and paint and they sell the same Starfire paints that I just bought. Even if it does take 3 weeks to get, that just leaves me more time to be anal about the finish work on the vehicle.

14. cdeal28078

cdeal28078 Member

Vehicle:
    71 F100
    That is sure good to hear. I wish I had known about this when I painted my truck. I could have bought some more new chrome with the money I saved.
    I will use them when or if I ever get my 72 Maverick ready for paint.

Clint

15. TUK101

TUK101 Member

Vehicle:
    For the money, I dont see how I can go wrong. I realize that this isn't top quality show car quality paint, but when I look at the paint that is on the car right now anything is a step in the right direction. Not only is it factory Ford yellow, but it had a repaint at one time where they dusted the whole car after they patched in some collision work. Well, I dont think that they gave the car a good washing before they dusted it and they trapped a lot of junk in the paint. I have been wet sanding the old paint off the car while doing scratch and run rubout. I got most of the old dusted on paint off and it is tempting to just spot it back to factory yellow, but I figure that a large portion of the car is already in primer so why not change the color of the car?