Factory hubcap's

Discussion in 'Cosmetic' started by W.O.T., Aug 24, 2003.

1. W.O.T.

W.O.T. Member

Vehicle:
    72 grabber
    I have been wheel shopping for my maverick, and was thinking about weld draglites. I even borrowed a set of fronts to check out the look. It indeed look's good!
    Today I was cleaning out the back room and stumbled across the oem hubcaps and struck an idea, that idea is widening some steel rim's in the back to 8 or 9 inch with 4 1/4 backspacing and running as narrow a front wheel as possible with the hubcap's would maybe give the car a [sleeper] look.
    What do you think? Has anyone got any pictures of this? I will be in touch with stockton wheel the first of the week to get some idea of $

Attached Files:

2. Rick Book

Rick Book Member

Vehicle:
    Missing my old '70 Maverick
    way cool idea.

3. Saul

Saul Member

Vehicle:
    1977 Maverick 2 door with a rebuilt 200 6. Currently restoring the body and interior.
    I'm planning on running the hubcaps on steel wheels painted the body color on mine. I saw one on here recently like that and it looked great!!

4. Todd

Todd Mavchanic

Vehicle:
    blue 70 two door
    YES! go for it, IMO it would awesome! as far as having the back widened, if you find a stock 15 inch wheel, you could fit a really wide radial on it and it would look pretty sick. I know finding wide tires for my 14 x 8s was hard, the widest we could get on the fourteens were 235s.

Good Luck with everything!

-Todd:)

5. W.O.T.

W.O.T. Member

Vehicle:
    72 grabber
    stockton wheel

I just got off the phone with Frank from stockton wheel, the man knew the exact measurement's of the hubcap's off the top of his head, pretty damn impressive! Anyway I told him what I was looking fore, he said no problem and he has done many that way, so I am going to give it a shot. I will post pic's as soon as it get's completed. Thank's to 1974COMETGT for the rear wheel backspacing. BTW is there a street tire to replace the 10in wide 26in tall slick in between weekend's?

Attached Files:

6. hotrodbob

hotrodbob Member

Vehicle:
    Sold my 1971 Grabber
    Frank is a cool guy and a good friend. he knows his stuff, hell he is the boss! He better know his stuff. Harley is the wheel builder and will make the wheels up for you. He is good!

I'm running the Stockton TQ's on my Ranchero. 15 x 7 in the rear and 15 x 5.5 up front!

When ya talk to them, say Hi for me.

Bob Beck

7. Mavaholic

Mavaholic Growing older but not up!

Vehicle:
    Original 72 Sprint Owner, 71 Comet GT, 57 Ranchwagon, 57 4 dr Wagon
    Whats the cost and shipping charges for these rims? I need a set of rims to mount some slicks for the weekend stuff.

8. W.O.T.

W.O.T. Member

Vehicle:
    72 grabber
    prices

I did not get the shipping cost but the wheels were around 90 bucks a piece for the rear.

9. T.L.

T.L. Banned

Vehicle:
    '73 Maverick 2-door, V-8
    I didn't know that those caps would fit a 15-inch wheel. That's cool if they do. I don't know where you'd find trim rings for them, unless aftermarket units are available.

I do know that Chrysler made 14x7 inch stock steel wheels which are the same bolt pattern as the Ford wheels. Ford never made a 14x7 stock stamped wheel. Of course it would be difficult to find any in this day & age.

I do think that a set of wide stock rims with nice wide tires and stock "dog-dish" caps and trim rings would look very cool.

I even like the Ford Ranger aluminim wheels, but they only come in 14-inch. I'd love to have some of those in 15x7...

10. Craig Selvey

Craig Selvey Indiana State Rep - MCCI

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick Grabber - Color: Orange Also, 1976 Ford Maverick 4-door, 1977 Mercury Comet 2-door.
    I have some factory Ford 14 x 7 stock stamped steel wheels. Think they came off of a Torino.

11. T.L.

T.L. Banned

Vehicle:
    '73 Maverick 2-door, V-8
    They may have been Chrysler wheels, Craig. I once knew a guy who had some on his Torino.

Anyway, I have been "told" that Ford didn't make a 14x7, but certainly wouldn't bet my life on it...
    :cool:

12. T.L.

T.L. Banned

Vehicle:
    '73 Maverick 2-door, V-8
    By the way, Craig; do you happen to know what the back-spacing of those wheels are? Just curious...

13. Craig Selvey

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick Grabber - Color: Orange Also, 1976 Ford Maverick 4-door, 1977 Mercury Comet 2-door.
    I will try to remember and go measure one tomorrow.

14. Grabber5.0

Grabber5.0 Gear-head wannabe

Vehicle:
    71 Grabber
    I have a set, and they are 4 1/4" backspacing, same as the chrome ones from the Mustangs.

15. Craig Selvey

Vehicle:
    Here is a picture of the wheel. It is 14 x 7 with 4" backspacing. I have two of them.

To be honest, I don't know for 100% sure that this is a Ford Wheel. Too much paint on it to see if there is a "Ford" stamped on it or not.

Attached Files: