Fender aprons

Discussion in 'Cosmetic' started by boss9, Dec 14, 2005.

1. boss9

boss9 Member

Vehicle:
    77 4-door 250 I6
    Pulled the fenders off the Mav and found the apron ledge (?) (where the fenders bolt on), is very rusty and pieces missing has anyone repaired this area? I'm thinking of rebuilding it with galvanized strips and lapping over into engine compartment. Hard fix due to weird bends and angles. Would be nice to find re-pops. Fat chance I'm sure.

Darrel

2. waynes fords

waynes fords Member

Vehicle:
    1973 grabber,2004 ford dually,2000 gulfstream motorhome,2003 ford expedition,66 mustang gt
    no one repops the apron, not yet anyway. best to find one on a good western rust free car and just replace it, good luck

3. Mavaholic

Mavaholic Growing older but not up!

Vehicle:
    Original 72 Sprint Owner, 71 Comet GT, 57 Ranchwagon, 57 4 dr Wagon
    I repaired mine with sheet stock. Not too hard to do. I'm not sure how your planning on attaching galvanized strips but you cant weld it unless you grind the coating off. Burning galvanize coation is very toxic.

4. 924 Mav

924 Mav Ed Winegar

Vehicle:
    (2) 1970 Mavericks and a 1971 4dr Maverick
    Hey guys,

I have a similar problem with my fender aprons. I found a Maverick at a pick & pull salvage yard. Are the 70-77 fender aprons interchangeable? Are the 71-77 comets also interchangeable? Are they easy to remove?

5. Mavaholic

Mavaholic Growing older but not up!

Vehicle:
    Original 72 Sprint Owner, 71 Comet GT, 57 Ranchwagon, 57 4 dr Wagon
    They are interchangable but are very hard to remove. They are welded in.

6. stmanser

stmanser Looking for a Maverick

mustangs unlimited sell all the apron panels... i have heard somewhere that they can be trimmed to fit and welded in...

they are about 30-60 in price.. each piece.

7. Acornridgeman

Acornridgeman MCCI Wisconsin State Rep Moderator Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    70 Maverick Grabber, 72 Maverick Grabber Restomod
    I have replaced the ones on Cougars and Mustangs already with the reproductions. If the rust is minor, use just patch pieces made from like 22 gauge stock. Cutting out a complete panel is a lot of work. If you are going to do it, what you need to do is carefully measure all the dimensions so you end up with the inners and radiator support in the same place as it started in. Next drill out all the spot welds that hold everything together to remove the inners. They make a spot weld cutter that works well for this, but they are not cheap and get dull with use. The cutters are more for saving panels when removed, since you are not, a regular drill will work too. Install the new inners in place and use you original measurements to get everything back in the proper place. Tack weld in the drilled out spot welds. Measure again. Weld up some of the drilled holes, with a little practice, you can duplicate the spot welds look pretty good with a MIG, flux wire welder, or TIG. Work a litlle and check your measurements CONSTANTLY while welding. Trust me, you do not want to have to tear apart something because the locations slipped. It is a lot of work, but the payoff of new metal is worth it.

Eric J

8. boss9

boss9 Member

Vehicle:
    77 4-door 250 I6
    I was wondering if the Mustang aprons would work. There are some other Mustang mods I want to try but need to get more info first. I want to try 67/68 Mustang fenders and hood on my Mav. Need to research before I spend $ on parts though.
    I've always liked cars that made people scratch their head :hmmm: and wonder !!

Last edited: Dec 15, 2005
  9. inline6

inline6 Member

90% of the cars you've owned in the past have made me scratch my head and wonder!!:rofl2: :biglaugh:
    I've always liked cars that made people scratch their head :hmmm: and wonder !![/QUOTE]

10. boss9

boss9 Member

Vehicle:
    77 4-door 250 I6
    :huh: 50,000 comedians out of work....!!!!! And you gotta wise crack !!:biglaugh:
    What's up Bro ?