Fender Chrome -removal and replacement

Discussion in 'Cosmetic' started by 20cows, May 16, 2007.

1. 20cows

20cows Member

Vehicle:
    74 Maverick
    Our mav (it's my daughter's too, you know) has a chrome strip with a black rubber insert running the length of the car except for the one fender that has been replaced. My first thought was to remove the trim and fill the holes, but my father pointed out that particularly since it had the rubber strip, that it was fair protection from door dings. (This machine will be parked in a school parking lot:( ).

I was also going to run a black stripe down the side, but noticed the rubber was basically already a black stripe about where I was going to put one. Hmmm.

I still need to remove the chrome strip to get at the rust under it. This is where what little rust the car has is.

My question is this- how does one remove the strip without damaging it? I also need to find the missing strip in my local boneyard and pull it safely, too. (Yeah, I know, the same way as what's on the car now:rolleyes: ).

Then of course, I will need to put it back. I figure it's not too difficult, but I don't want to mess up the chrome, as it will be tough find more.

2. dmhines

dmhines Dixie Maverick Boy

Vehicle:
    1971 Grabber / 2012 Mustang / 2009 Jeep Wrangler / 2013 Ducati / 2009 Buell XB12Scg
    Take the fender off .. you can then get to all the nuts holding it on ..

3. Craig Selvey

Craig Selvey Indiana State Rep - MCCI

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick Grabber - Color: Orange Also, 1976 Ford Maverick 4-door, 1977 Mercury Comet 2-door.
    Easy to remove all the nuts from the backside of the trim. All of the nuts are accessable without disassembly of the car. On the doors...just has nuts on the ends. It has plastic clips in the middle that you have to gently pry off.

4. 20cows

20cows Member

Vehicle:
    74 Maverick
    I was kinda' hopin' it woulsn't be that complicated.

....just like life.