Fiberglass Hood Question #2537

Discussion in 'Cosmetic' started by lm14, Jan 9, 2014.

1. lm14

lm14 Member

Vehicle:
    1970 Maverick, 1937 Ford Tudor, 1962 F100
    I have searched, and found a lot of bashing. Several threads but other than recommendations to the carbon fiber hood, not much info except UP22 and Show Cars are idiots.

I like the quality of the carbon fiber hood but it just isn'tcorrect for what I am doing.

I need a stock style, flat (not Graber) Maverick hood in common fiberglass for my '70 Pro Stock tribute car. I have a fiberglass hood scoop I will bond to it. I want a simple pin on glass hood. Don't need hinges or latches.

Who makes the best glass hood for the money?

Kind of split between US Body Source in Florida and VFN in Illinois.

This is not a show car, although it will be shown. It will be shown as a Pro Stock from 1970 recreation and I want it to reflect that time. I want one that fits reasonably well, isn't a pure piece of crap and will be delivered in a reasonable amount of time.

Yes, I understand that "reasonable" is a relative term but you kind of know where I'm coming from if you have real world experience with this subject.

Recommendations please. Right now I'm leaning towards VFN the hardest.

Thanks,
    SPark

2. don graham

don graham MCG State Rep

Vehicle:
    70 mav, 71 grabber, 73 Comet, 2004 f-250 crew cab diesel, 2001 f-250, 2004 explorer, 2007 Gold Wing trike.
    I have a US Body hood on mine. It has the aero scoop on the hood. You can see it in my pictures. It needed no work to fit. Not sure of their plain hoods, but I'm satisfied with mine. Beware of the shipping. Mine had to come by truck freight and was really expensive. I had to pick it up in Phoenix, about 60 miles away at the terminal. :)

3. lm14

lm14 Member

Vehicle:
    That's another reason I'm leaning towards VFN. I'm about 5 hours away from them and I could just pick it up in person. Yes, gas costs money but might be nice to look at it before taking ownership.

Thanks, Don.

SPark

4. RMiller

RMiller My name is Rick

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1971 Maverick Grabber
    Does Crites offer a flat hood? I have heard good things about the Grabber hood. Regarding the quality of the others, I would say considering what you are building those would be more period correct for the car. Back in those days there probably wasn't near the quality since fiberglass parts were for weight loss on race cars, not bragging rights on street cars.

5. lm14

lm14 Member

Vehicle:
    All I can find at Crites is Grabber hoods. Unfortunately, that is just wrong for what I'm doing. I have literally hundreds of pictures of different Pro Stock Mavericks and not a single one used a Grabber style hood that I can find. There were around a dozen different styles of scoops and I have an original style in hand to bond to a flat hood.
    [​IMG]

Thanks,
    SPark

6. 71gold

71gold Frank Cooper Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    '73 Grabber
    for a drag no show car hood you are going to pin on add a scoop with no hinges...why should...quality matter...:huh:

7. Shorty

Shorty Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    '72 Maverick, 347 c.i., w/ dual quads, TKO 600 5-speed transmission, back halved w/ 4-link, '16 F150, 5.0 Coyotte, regular cab, shortbed, lowered 3/5 & 1-owner '79 Trans Am.
    I bought a light weight hood and front fenders for my '76 F100 from U.S. Body Source and put them together into a tilt front end. I remember the quality and fit as being very good. I want to buy their hood and fenders for my Maverick eventually.

Bruce

8. lm14

lm14 Member

Vehicle:
    There comes a point in time you want it to be "right". I don't want a cheap piece of crap, I don't want to deal with hassles getting it like I've read others having, I just want what I pay for.

It still has to look good, don't get me wrong. I'm not building a show only car but it will be shown some. It's also not a race car, it's a licensed street car that can race.

I'm trying to find who out there has had a good experience with a hood builder that fits my needs. Decent hood, minimal hassles, fair price for the product.

SPark

9. Hottrod1991

Hottrod1991 Member

Vehicle:
    73 maverick
    You can always painy carbon fiber..
    Nut best fiverglass hood company j came across and still retains their quality is vfn fiberglass

Ws racing went down after the main guy died
    Pice i got fpr my maverick was crap

10. Wrighttime

Wrighttime Member

Vehicle:
    74 Maverick street car 73 comet drag car 74 comet drag car
    Fiberglass Hoods

I've purchased from both VFN and US Body, US Body gets my praise.:thumbs2:

11. lm14

lm14 Member

Vehicle:
    Ok, I've pulled the trigger. Ordered from US Body Source thru Jegs. That way Jegs is the shipper and all that is charged to me is a $69 oversize Fed Ex charge. It is drop shipped direct from US Body's facility.

http://www.jegs.com/i/US+Body/277/MVH-1/10002/-1

I'll post back when it gets here. One spot at Jegs shows shipped on the 20th of Jan and another place shows it will be shipped on the 22nd of Jan so we'll see how they do!

Later,
    SPark

12. lm14

lm14 Member

Vehicle:
    First Update!

Today is the scheduled shipping day that was given to me by Jegs in the confirmation email that told me they processed the order and sent it on to their vendor and my piece would be drop shipped direct from the vendor. This is the date provided by the vendor, not Jegs.

Any guesses on if they can hit the date?

SPark

13. lm14

lm14 Member

Vehicle:
    Got a call Friday wanting to confirm a Tuesday afternoon delivery date. Looks like a legit delivery date so we'll get it Tuesday afternoon and see what it looks like.

SPark

14. lm14

lm14 Member

Vehicle:
    OK, final installment.

Got a call about a half hour before he got here. Shortly after, the big truck rolled up in front of the house (notice this is a residential delivery).

[​IMG]

Backed my pickup down the driveway and off loaded the big box into the back of my truck. Not because it's heavy, I'm just too lazy to carry it all the way up the driveway! Box was in good condition. Opened the top and slid out the hood. Well packed but they definitely don't over-do anything.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sat it on the Maverick and it fits perfectly. Couldn't ask for a nicer fit. Remember it's a pin-on so no hinges to line up or latches to install. It fits the hole great. Shape is right and contours are correct.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Should look correct with the scoop bonded in place.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Total cost:

Order Qty Ship Qty Part Number Description Unit Price Extended
    Contents of Carton No.: 1 277-MVH-1 HOOD 70-77 MAVERICK 359.00 359.00
    OVERSIZE PRODUCT CHARGE 69.99 69.99

Shipped via: Direct From Vendor Sub-Total 428.99
    COD Fee .00

Shipping .00
    Expected Delivery Free Handling .00
    Package tracking will be Sales Tax .00
    Less Deposit .00
    TOTAL 428.99

I'm happy with it. I would highly recommend going the Jegs route, it's cheaper than US Body Source direct. For some reason, no truck freight charges thru Jegs.

SPark

Last edited: Jan 28, 2014
  15. Dave B

Dave B I like Mavericks!

Vehicle:
    3 Grabbers
    Hows the underside look? Look like a nice hood.