fiberglass hood

Discussion in 'Cosmetic' started by don graham, Jan 24, 2003.

1. don graham

don graham MCG State Rep

Vehicle:
    70 mav, 71 grabber, 73 Comet, 2004 f-250 crew cab diesel, 2001 f-250, 2004 explorer, 2007 Gold Wing trike.
    i just got my new fiberglass hood from us body today. didn't mind the $350 price tag, but wasn't ready for the $140 shipping charge especially after being told it would be about $85. quality looks to be pretty good. question is how to cut out the hole in the front of the scoop without chewing it up, and what tricks are there for preparing it for paint. i'm going to go with a primer for right now until i decide what color to paint the car. i'll do my own primer painting but i'm not too familiar with working on fiberglass.:confused:

2. Corbin Johnson

Corbin Johnson Member

Vehicle:
    73 LDO, 72 Sprint, 70 Grabber.
    Hey Don,
    Sorry, I can't help you with the hood question, but is this going towards project 73, or just doing some mods to the ol' Grabber? Just curious. :) You should see my car now. It is completely different than when you saw it last. We got a different carb so it runs nice now. The body work is done, it's primed, all the trim, glass, etc are in and the interior is almost all in. The rest (seats and carpet) is going in tomorrow. Next weekend I am getting it aligned, and then we're "On the Road again"! Talk to you later, and I'll post pics when I get some.
    -Corbin

3. Mavaholic

Mavaholic Growing older but not up!

Vehicle:
    Original 72 Sprint Owner, 71 Comet GT, 57 Ranchwagon, 57 4 dr Wagon
    I have very limited experiences with fiberglass, mostly from working on my boats, but I have always used a hole saw to cut out a large opening. I cut a hole about 1/4 to 1/2" smaller than I wanted, then used a drum sander to get to the desired opening. This will keep from chipping the gel coat near the edges. When drilling, use very light pressure until you get through the gel coat.

4. don graham

don graham MCG State Rep

Vehicle:
    70 mav, 71 grabber, 73 Comet, 2004 f-250 crew cab diesel, 2001 f-250, 2004 explorer, 2007 Gold Wing trike.
    thanks for the idea mavaholic. i hadn't thought of the hole saw. i'm hoping to get the computer set up so i can send pics shortly. i think the hood looks pretty nice and they advertise that they are the only manufacturer in the u.s. that makes the hood and the scoop in 1 piece. hi corbin, no this isn't for the 73. i haven't done anything to it yet but i do drive it to work 1 or 2 times a week. this is for the 71. i've lightened it up a bit, fiberglass seats, removed the heater motor and some other stuff. this hood will let me take off the hinges and front locking mechanism and loose some more weight. now if the driver can lose some too. i am working on that too. i'm looking forward to seeing some pics of your car. i was impressed with it when i was at your house so i'm sure it is looking good. what carb did you go with? any more ideas on the hood, i'd appreciate it guys. thanks.:)

5. jeremy

jeremy I build t5's

Vehicle:
    1972 2 door 302 maverick, 1986 5.0 stang gt convertible,66 mustang coupe, HEMI ram
    Don, if you have a dig camera, I think it would be cool to see the hood. I have always thought about going fiberglass for the hood, but have not been able to justify the price yet.

6. don graham

don graham MCG State Rep

Vehicle:
    i'll try to get some soon jeremy. :D

7. Dan Starnes

Dan Starnes Original owner

Vehicle:
    Stallion, 72 Grabber, Sprint, 77 4dr Maverick
    Mavaholic is right on with his advice,,, work slowly and keep an eye on when you are through the gelcoat. Best part of it all,, if you screw up, its fiberglass, you can fix it with more fiberglass. Also you might want to wear long sleeved shirt, hat , goggles and at least a particle dust mask. Airborn fiberglass is hard on skin, respiratory and the eyes.
    Dan