fiberglass repair

Discussion in 'Cosmetic' started by mavman, Sep 4, 2006.

1. mavman

mavman Member

Vehicle:
    '75 Maverick, '03 super duty, '04 Mustang Vee-six!
    I picked up a hood earlier, cheap. IT needs a little TLC and it's really flimsy. Must be an Unlimited Products (UP22.com) hood LOL. I have messed with 'glass before with an old el camino I had (glass cowl hood) but it's been a while. Any of ya'll have any good tips, suggestions, web links that I can refer to? I like to think things through a little before I get started....

Also, it has an old-school box style snorkel scoop on it. I pulled it off earlier (bolted on...hehe the pile of bolts weighed more than the hood itself!) and need suggestions on which scoop I can put back on it. I kinda like the Aero scoops (pro stock style) myself. Keep in mind that the engine pokes through the hood a little. Maybe 1/2" at the most, which is why I'd like to put some sort of scoop on it. BTW, its a race car only. Just need some ideas at this point.

2. Yellow72Mavrick

Yellow72Mavrick Banned

Vehicle:
    1977 maverick 2 door ( my sons) 250 c4
    bolt an areo scoop on that puppy, I like them too.

3. ModMav71

ModMav71 Member

Vehicle:
    1971 Maverick Grabber 98 DOHC Cobra engine w/5speed, 1974 Pinto 2.0 4speed daily driver.
    Is it a pin on style hood or does it use the hood hinges? It maybe a racing version from UP22 they are flimsy because of being lighter weight for racing.
    Try this company.Fiberglass Supply (Surfboards, Windsurfers, Kayaks, Canoes, Boats , Autos and more) I buy from them since none of this stuff is availible near me. They are good to deal with.
    You could always laminate some heavier cloth or Mat to the under side. If you do that make sure to get a bubble roller for all those pesky air bubbles. That would take probably over a gallon of resin.
    Or you could get some aluminum honeycomb and cut it into strips to make an X brace and laminate that to the hood. I guess its all in how much you wanna spend because fiberglass isnt all that cheap.

4. blugene

blugene Senior member Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    73 Comet GT, 72 Comet GT, 2008 "Comet" (our boxer, who is now in the galaxies)
    [​IMG]
    This is the one I want.

5. Andysutt

Andysutt '72 Comet GT

Vehicle:
    1972 Comet GT
    I like those aero style scoops also
    I think I may ahve some fiberglass stuff left over in the garage, i'll check with my brother, if so I'll send it your way.
    I sent you a PM also