Fiberglass tilt front end?

Discussion in 'Cosmetic' started by scooper77515, Jul 2, 2006.

1. scooper77515

scooper77515 No current projects.

Vehicle:
    Fresh out of Mavericks
  2. don graham

don graham MCG State Rep

Vehicle:
    70 mav, 71 grabber, 73 Comet, 2004 f-250 crew cab diesel, 2001 f-250, 2004 explorer, 2007 Gold Wing trike.
    i haven't seen them but mas sells them for less than $500 new if i remember right. they advertise in all the ford magazines. also you need an installation kit.:)

3. scooper77515

scooper77515 No current projects.

Vehicle:
    Fresh out of Mavericks
    So, kinda like a funny car (but backwards). Instead of lifting up the hood, you pull the hood, fenders, and bumper forward (like a corvette, I guess)?

Would it have metal or fiberglass bumpers?

4. don graham

don graham MCG State Rep

Vehicle:
    70 mav, 71 grabber, 73 Comet, 2004 f-250 crew cab diesel, 2001 f-250, 2004 explorer, 2007 Gold Wing trike.
    not sure you can use metal bumpers. but if your trying to lighten the front end you'd probably want to use fiberglass. :)

5. ratio411

ratio411 Member

Vehicle:
    1972 Sprint and 1975 Maverick
    Your bumpers must tilt with the front end, therefore they would be only supported by glass. You would want them light. Metal bumpers and all required to hold them would surely stress the glass too much.
    My .02
    Dave

6. Maxx Levell

Maxx Levell Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1972 Mav 2 dr, 1971 Mav 2 dr...thanks Old Guy!
    i asked the guy some questions about that front end....he says that it is a very lightweight race only piece. He claims that the whole front end weighs less than one metal fender.

Plus, it's pick-up only, no shipping. I don't know....I would be interested in it, but i'm not sure how far it is from me. I know it's a long way, but there's a possibility that a friend of mine could pick it up for me. I don't know.

Later,

7. ATOMonkey

ATOMonkey Adam

Vehicle:
    '69 & 1/2 Maverick
    If MAS is still making them, $500 is a deal! Glasstek out of west chicago will get you one for just under $1,000 and USBody is around $1300.

I was thinking of this just the over day. To get the bottom of the fender to clear the middle of the door, there will need to be a 4 bar linkage that moves the dog house up and forward before it begins to tilt. I don't think a simple hinge would work.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2006
  8. ford84stepside

ford84stepside Lone Wolf

Vehicle:
    1947 Lincoln Zephyr Coupe
    Most of the ones I've seen on other cars cut the fender at a body line, the lower pieces are mounted stationary and that lets the rest tilt forward without dragging the lower fender over the cowl. That frontend would be great on a car with a Mustang II frontend, but on a stock Mav frontend the only good thing would be the weight savings, access to the engine would not be improved much because of the shock towers....

9. 1972Grabber

1972Grabber Always Broke

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick Grabber
    I see this working with a Mustang 2 front clip and "rollbar" tubes going back to the cowl area and tying into an interior roll bar structure inside the car.

Otherwise, I think it would look like someone puked on it if you had the flip front and you opened it to show the shock towers and a radiator with the support still intact.

This is something that should be put on/into a race car not a street car.:2cents:

10. MNTony

MNTony aka Godzirra

Vehicle:
    72 Turbo FI Maverick, 2006 GMC Sierra Duramax 4x4, 2014 Ford Mustang GT 4spd
    I had one on my 68 Mustang and I cut out the metal in front of the shock towers and behind. Then I ran the roll bar from the inside to the towers and on to the frame deleting the rad support. It worked well, but it was a PITA to open and close as there wasn't enough stiffness there for one person to do it by themselves. Plus I didn't cut the fenders, so you had to pull both sides out to avoid scratching the doors. I wouldn't do it again myself. There are other ways to lighten a car that's not that radical. Just my .02.