flat colors

Discussion in 'Cosmetic' started by klassicmav, Apr 10, 2007.

1. klassicmav

klassicmav Member

Vehicle:
    73 grabber
    I've thought of painting my mav flat black or green for my low budget restomod but I have never seen this paint on a mav/comet. I like the "don't give a rats *ss" look &price. I'll most likely go with gloss,after all the work being done, but I still think of the flat colors. What would I think if i saw an army green with blackout mav pass me on a country road? :dance:''OOHH Yeah"

Last edited: Apr 10, 2007
  2. bmcdaniel

bmcdaniel Senile Member

Vehicle:
    '70 Maverick Grabber
    A lot of guys that want flat black use black epoxy primer. Looks good, holds up to the elements, and just needs a little prep in case you want to spray on a top coat later.

3. Derek 5oComet

Derek 5oComet Tire burner

Vehicle:
    1972 Comet ,5.0L,5spd,9",3.89 trac lock, 12.40@110, 1967 Mercury Cougar 390 stick,1985 Mercury Capri 5.0,5 speed,1979 F150 4x4 460,1992 F150 Flareside,99 F250 SuperDuty V10
    You can use a gloss paint with ''flattning agent'' in it that way you dont have to spend a ton on high quality paint because all you want is a flat finish.And this way it will stand up to the sunlight with minimal fading.
    Derek.

4. j miller

j miller Montana MCCI state rep

Vehicle:
    77 2 door Maverick, 250ci, power disc brakes, a/c,
    hot rod magazine just did an article in a camaro they called the f-bomb. it was painted flat army green. it looked mean. they used a regular paint with a flatening agent.

5. Green Monster

Green Monster Exposed to Radiation.

Vehicle:
    1971 Maverick Grabber
    :hmmm: I was thinking of that same thing. The F-Bomb Camaro was pretty cool. Definitley different. I still haven't decided if I like it. It looks like it's ready to go to war. I guess that's the point. I like the black out on all of the chrome.

6. klassicmav

klassicmav Member

Vehicle:
    73 grabber
    Thanks for the info & options guys! Im gonna try to get that issue of hot rod (f-bomb camaro)

7. Speedy

Speedy Member

Vehicle:
    '71 Comet GT
    Re:

There are many new paints hitting the market. In researching the flat black color for my hood I've found that they are now making a flat clear coat. You still can't wax it but it gives your flat color a protective coating which you would clean with a mild soap and water. It's supposed to make the paint last a lot longer. Probably the process I'm going to use on my hood and rear light panel.

8. Mad_Max_Mav

Mad_Max_Mav Member

Vehicle:
    1970 Maverick, fiberglass nose, blown 351w, 5.13 geared 9" rear, TCI built c4

all of my cars end up looking like extras from my fav movie-... mad max. Since 1992 I probably have painted 30 or more semi-flat and flat black.

I can give you the part numbers/prices of all kinds of paints from different manufacturers that will get the look you're going for, while still holding up over time and WILL NOT ABSORBE MOISTURE... which regular primer will... actually quite quickly. House of Kolor makes a nice series of rat rod paints... hot-rod black, etc.

There are also several products available that you can spray onto chrome surfaces that will allow paint to adhere to them much better. not flake off, etc.

Email me directly if you want to talk about it in more detail, etc.

mbdragracing@msn.com

:cheers:

9. mightymav72

mightymav72 Member

Vehicle:
    1972 Ford Maverick with a 351 Windsor
    Anyone ever see the new "Suede Paint"? I think it would look cool.

10. luckyirishpride

luckyirishpride "Youngest Comet Owner"16!

Vehicle:
    2x 1971 Mercury Comets Both V8s, P/S/, A/C
    dont really need to look for just one issue of hot rod, it has been in the last 4 or 5 issues....

It is a really neat car, but if you want the truth.......it still isn't running. Haha, the shop next to my work did all of the cage and most of the fab on the car... and I have spent quite a bit of time around the F-Bomb.