floor board rust

Discussion in 'Cosmetic' started by BrianB, Dec 23, 2010.

1. BrianB

BrianB Member

Vehicle:
    1973 Maverick
    the driver side is almot perfect but the front passanger has a big hole. how can i fix it without welding

2. maverick75

maverick75 Gotta Love Mavs!

Vehicle:
    The mav is gone but i'm still here!
    Well first fix the cause of the rust. Which sounds like a leaky heater core or cowl. If its an AC car it will only have one cowl opening which is on the passenger side. If the hole isnt too big you can try rustbullet+fiberglass mat. Go to the tech article section for the "How To" on that.

3. Jean Doll

Jean Doll Maverick Restoration Tech

Vehicle:
    1977 Maverick 2 door with a 302.
    I agree about first finding the source of the rust. Fix that problem first to prevent future rust from coming back. To fix the rust hole and expect the rust to not come back is next to impossible without some degree of welding involved. The only way to correctly fix the problem for good to weld in clean, new metal. If you just can't go that route you can pop rivit new metal in place. All of the rust surrounding the rot hole would need to be cut out and the exposed metal treated with a rust preventer like Rust Bullet or something similar. This should be done both inside the car and underneath. Next get yourself a piece of sheet metal cut to fit over the rust hole with some overlap. Use a hammer to contour the replacement metal so it fits as close to the existing floor as possible and pop rivit in place. It would be a good idea to put some seam sealer all around the edges of the new patch both inside and underneath the car to act as a water barrier. Spray some self etching primer on the edges first so the seam sealer doesn't crack. Finish the job up by undercoating the patch underneath the car. While this is not a permenent replacement patch it should last for a good long while.

4. dmhines

dmhines Dixie Maverick Boy

Vehicle:
    1971 Grabber / 2012 Mustang / 2009 Jeep Wrangler / 2013 Ducati / 2009 Buell XB12Scg
    You can patch it without welding .. you can't fix it without welding.

5. RMiller

RMiller My name is Rick

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1971 Maverick Grabber
    How about using a patch with panel bond?

6. maverick75

Vehicle:
    If you do go the patch route at least get it bead rolled. My local body shop only charged me 3 bucks to get a panel rolled. Its well worth the money for the added strength.

7. ford84stepside

ford84stepside Lone Wolf

Vehicle:
    1947 Lincoln Zephyr Coupe
    To add to Jean Doll's post, once you get the patch pop rivited in, you can fiberglass over the entire section of the floor. That will add strength as well as waterproof it.

Like Dan said, it will still be patched, not fixed. Only way to truly fix is cut out the rust and weld rust free metal in it's place. You might be able to find a donor piece from someone who has a parts car. Then you could always take the car to a welder and let them weld it in for you.

8. BrianB

BrianB Member

Vehicle:
    1973 Maverick
    i know exactly what caused it.. 3 years without a windshield.. its kind of amazing thats the only serious rust spot.

9. maverick75

Vehicle:
    I bet that rust was there even before the windshield went missing. If that was the reason then the other floor board would be rusty also. Ask the AC guys, most of their cars only have the passenger side rusted out. Mine was the same way, and its been an AZ/CA car all its life. I would pour water in the cowl just to make sure.