Floor Pans

Discussion in 'Cosmetic' started by wulfhinzdenzin, Feb 3, 2006.

1. wulfhinzdenzin

wulfhinzdenzin Member

Vehicle:
    72 maverick
    I am having a hard time finding floor pans for my 72 mav and someone told me that the mav frame is that of a 68 mustang. If this is true would the pans from a mustang from 68-72 work

2. ATOMonkey

ATOMonkey Adam

Vehicle:
    '69 & 1/2 Maverick
    I've heard that they'll get you pretty close. I haven't done this personally, but I know some of the members have.

3. stmanser

stmanser Looking for a Maverick

i have a 71 maverick... i used floor pans from mustangsunlimited.com from a 1971 ford mustang... i ordered the entire left pan and entire right pan.. both together cost roughly 110 bucks shipped...

i cut out the drivers side... and then fit the mustang panel in place.. and welded it.. and then did the passenger side.. trimmed... welded.. etc.. just in case the car wanted to warp.. i figured this to be the safest route..

i have some pics i can show.. if needed.... but its simple..

you will need a 90 degree cutter.. a sawz all and a hack saw... this will be used to remove the old floor..

a drill and a 1/4 drill bit to drill the spot welds... and a hammer and chisel to remove the old floor pan on the rocker panels..

the new floor board will have a 1 1/8 lip on 1 side of the floor board.. this will go on the rocker panel.. i would suggest using a 1/8 drill bit and drill through the floor and into the rocker panel and use draw cleco's to hold the floor board in place.. this will allow you to mark and cut the inner part of the floor board to the existing floor.. and use cleco's to clamp the new floor to the old floor in a couple places.. this will allow you to scribe/mark the metal from under neath the car so that you can get the metal edges to butt up to each other after you trim the new floor to fit

if you need clarification, email me or PM me..

the whole job, cut out old floor... trim new floor and weld in took me about 12 hours per side... 1 weekend for the whole project.. and i went through 3 spools of welding rod.. and i still needed more welding done.. this was the first time i ever welded... make sure you prep the old floor board.. this will help the welding to be stronger.. this is the one thing i didnt do..

good luck

4. 70mav170

70mav170 Member

Vehicle:
    1970 maverick 6 cyl
    i have also used the mustang floor and still finishing some small welding. i could email you pictures if you would like

5. stmanser

stmanser Looking for a Maverick

one thing i should have added... the hump that is in the maverick fllor is not in the mustang floor... you may need to do some mods for seats...