Floorpan rust

Discussion in 'Cosmetic' started by YotaRacer, Dec 12, 2004.

1. YotaRacer

YotaRacer Member

Vehicle:
    75 Grabber
    Upon close inspection of the passenger floorpan I found it was rusted extremely thin with only a few small pinholes. Now a question for the esteemed viewers. :confused: Should I repair by adding an additional plate to the top of the existing material (after treating the rust) and cutting some losts in the bottom to stich weld for additional strenght. Or should I cut out the bad portion of the pan and replace with new material (flat plate). I would like to replace with a pan of original construction but I doubt there is a repop of it. If There is a replacement piece some directing in the proper local is appreciated. Thanks for the input.

Mark

2. bmcdaniel

bmcdaniel Senile Member

Vehicle:
    '70 Maverick Grabber
  3. Dan Starnes

Dan Starnes Original owner

Vehicle:
    Stallion, 72 Grabber, Sprint, 77 4dr Maverick
    Best way is to cut out old and weld in new. In the old days we simply would take a piece of sheet metal and pop rivet it over the rusted area. While I dont recommend that any more, it will be a more temporary fix. By plating it you will create the original floorpan to be trapped with moisture, causing to grow the problem faster. As far as using the same type of floor pan, if the section is not too large, I would think a mustang piece could be made to work.
    Dan

4. mike75mav

mike75mav Member

Vehicle:
    1975 maverick 4 door; 1971 Bronco frame off restoring
    I had a similiar problem with my 75 mav. Both floor pans and truck floor was rusted with small holes and pitted. I thought about cutting and welding metal to. I took my car in and he ended up using fiberglass. He said I didn't need to replace the metal. You may what to think about doing that.

5. YotaRacer

YotaRacer Member

Vehicle:
    75 Grabber
    I thought about using a filler material but when you press on the floorpan there is a lot of flex. Which I assume is why I have ripples in the roof. I don't want the ripples back once they get fixed. I think I am just going to cut it out and replace with new material.

6. bmcdaniel

bmcdaniel Senile Member

Vehicle:
    '70 Maverick Grabber
    Even with good floors the cars with potent V8's can get ripples in the roof and rear quarters. Subframe connectors are needed.

7. YotaRacer

YotaRacer Member

Vehicle:
    75 Grabber
    Definately going to do the sub frame connectors. I don't know how potent I will build the engine this is supposed to be a driver, but we all know how that goes.:eek: