For the 4x4.5 bolt folks

Discussion in 'Wheels and Tires' started by Freelance Fury, Feb 10, 2013.

1. Freelance Fury

Freelance Fury Member

Vehicle:
    1971 Ford Maverick, inline 6
    I know, I know....why wouldnt I swap the 4x4.5 pattern for the 5? or just put different axles in?

Well, I'm just not. :oops:

For those of you who roll on the original 4x4.5, what are the the wheel specs you chose?

Won't lie - the whole wheel size topic gets me turned in circles. Diameter, width, backspace, offset...very confusing!

I'm looking for leads on a nice set of wheels that wont require any mods to the car (which is stock through and through). 1971 2-door.

Anyone willing to dumb it down for this girl and help de-fog my brain, I'll be forever grateful!

2. Acornridgeman

Acornridgeman MCCI Wisconsin State Rep Moderator Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    70 Maverick Grabber, 72 Maverick Grabber Restomod
    Nothing wrong with keeping the original 4 lugs, as long as you are willing to live with the limitations of wheel selection and the drum brakes.

My '70 is using the original wheels - 4 1/2" wide running 195/75/14's - it is a very stock look.

[​IMG]

If I were setting up a 4 lug car today with something more performance looking, I have always said you can't beat the look of the slotted wheels on a Maverick. The good news here is they are still made today in 4 lug, as cars like the Datsun 280Z used the same bolt pattern. $1100 will get you a set of Ansens including tires off ebay. Here is a link.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/15x7-AMERIC...065&pid=100015&prg=1006&rk=1&sd=200882027102&

[​IMG]

3. Freelance Fury

Freelance Fury Member

Vehicle:
    I do want to upgrade from the 'poverty rim' that came with the car. I kept everything stock, but am giving it a makeover (so to speak). I think a tasteful aftermarket wheel would just be icing on the cake. Nothing too austere. That's a nice looking wheel! Summit has a few nice looking ones, too. Thanks!

4. Freelance Fury

Freelance Fury Member

Vehicle:
    Still looking for someone who can tell me what amount of backspace, offset, tire size and width can be used on the car without curling the fenders or experiencing rub issues. Thanks!

5. 71gold

71gold Frank Cooper Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    '73 Grabber
    I would say any 14" tire.
    I had 275/60 15s on mine...no mods...any size smaller than that...:yup: