Ford to attempt 1,000-lap challenge at Bristol Motor Speedway in V6 Mustang

Discussion in 'Ford Industry News' started by Mav.bot, Mar 21, 2010.

1. Mav.bot

Mav.bot Member

Filed under: Coupe, Performance, Ford

[​IMG]
    2011 Ford Mustang V6 - Click above for high-res image gallery

While true Ford Mustang fans will really only care that the new powertrains being introduced for 2011 produce substantially more power than before, Ford is equally interested in promoting their improved fuel economy. We already know about the new V6's 19 mile per gallon city and 31 mpg highway ratings from the EPA. On June 23, Ford will take a V6 Mustang to Bristol Motor Speedway in Tennessee and attempt to run over 1,000 laps on a single tank of gas. Bristol is one of NASCAR's old school half-mile bullrings, so that means over 500 miles on a tank.

A crew of Ford test drivers will circle the track until the tank runs dry, hopefully topping the 1,000 lap mark. During the run-up to the event people can go to www.Mustang1000LapChallenge.com and guess how many jelly beans are in the jar how many laps the Mustang will complete before it's running on fumes. Of those who guess correctly, Ford will randomly draw the name of one person who'll win a 2011 Mustang V6. Hats off to Tim for the tip.

Gallery: 2011 Ford Mustang 3.7-liter V6

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

[Source: Ford]Continue reading Ford to attempt 1,000-lap challenge at Bristol Motor Speedway in V6 Mustang

Ford to attempt 1,000-lap challenge at Bristol Motor Speedway in V6 Mustang originally appeared on Autoblog on Sun, 21 Mar 2010 20:33:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Permalink | Email this | Comments

More...

2. Thrashin302

Thrashin302 Member

Vehicle:
    1970 Maverick
    V6 Mustangs just dont make sense to me. i mean im not knocking the power of what some six cylinder egingines are capable of, but Mustangs to me should be american muscle V8 rumblin beasts, not gas savin "economy" cars.

3. Jamie Miles

Jamie Miles the road warrior

Vehicle:
    13 Mavericks
    300hp and 30 mpg makes all the sense in the world to me.. The Mustang has had a 6 cylinder engine available throughout most of it's 46 years of production, and when it didn't have one, it had a 4 cylinder.

4. Thrashin302

Thrashin302 Member

Vehicle:
    1970 Maverick
    yeah i said i wasnt bashin the power of a six cylinder, and back in the earlier days i see why the sixer's were norm, but im just sayin the Mustang is a sporty car, why not have the sportiest engine in it they can, i understand Ford has made a lot of money selling v6 stangs since there cheaper, but i knew kids back in highschool who would talk up there close to stock with the exception of a cai and a 5inch tach v6 mustang like it was the fastest thing, and i couldnt see why someone who was in the market for performance would buy a mustang with under 200hp. I admit the new v6 is impressive at 300hp tho, but still why buy that when you can get the v8 with over 100 more ponies.

5. markso125

markso125 Member

Vehicle:
    1972 maverick 2 door LDO
    The thing you are not realizing is the mustang was never intended to be a sports car like the corvette, it is supposed to be a fun little car, that is cheap and economical to drive around.....(you know kind of like the maverick started out being) The first couple years that is what it remained for the most part they didnt start stuffing the bigger engines in them untill the second generation when the camaro/firebirds appeared on the market.

6. Jamie Miles

Vehicle:
    13 Mavericks
    Because some people don't want or need a V8...

7. Thrashin302

Thrashin302 Member

Vehicle:
    1970 Maverick
    markso125 - "The thing you are not realizing is the mustang was never intended to be a sports car"
    That might be true, but it has kinda built up a "legend" for being an american sports car. I know i might anger people saying this but I can stereotype soroity girls and house realtors driving around in there V6 convertable mustangs all day, and if they like it good for them but i still smirk and shake my head when I see a weekneed underpowerd Mustang.

8. Jamie Miles

Vehicle:
    13 Mavericks
    So you're saying, because the car has built up a so-called legendary status in some people's minds, the current model of that vehicle should throw the great selling, practical version out the window, and be available with fire breathing V8's only?

9. Thrashin302

Thrashin302 Member

Vehicle:
    1970 Maverick
    Ford has made a ton of money with the V6 model, if they threw that out the window we all know they would loose tons of potential profits. But im sayin a V6 Mustang is almost like an oxy-moron. On one hand you have an iconic american muscle car in the Mustang in the other you have an underpowerd V6 not even producing 200hp. They might have always had on option of a v6, and may have sold tons of em to satisfied owners but it's almost laughable.

10. markso125

markso125 Member

Vehicle:
    1972 maverick 2 door LDO
    Well with that kind of thinking the only trucks sold on the market today should have a 6" lift 20" rims and be sporting a deisel motor.... Because thats what some people think all trucks should be like.

Oh and BTW the Mustang has never been considered a muscle car it is a "Pony Car" as is the Firebird and Camaro, and I even think the old cuda's fit the bill too. Muscle cars are usually classified as full sized cars like GTO's Chargers or Torinos with monster motors like a 440, 396 or the 427.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2010
  11. CaptainComet

CaptainComet Large Member

Vehicle:
    72 Comet
    We got my wife a 07 Mustang with the 210hp V6 ... fun car, really! It has enough power to make over half of the folks that buy a Mustang perfectly happy. Teamed up with a 5 speed automatic, it makes the car seem pretty zippy at all speeds short of flat out, and this car weighs just shy of 4000 lbs.

hmmm ... 210 hp ... same rating as my first car ... 65 Mustang with a 289 ... (the new one is actually more powerful because of the change in how HP is rated)

I like it because if I have to work on it, there is actually a lot of room under the hood. If I do eventually take the car over from her, I have thought about adding a centrifugal supercharger. A board member here had that set-up in his Mustang and it ran and dyno'd out well.