frontmost part of door, lacks a drain = rust

Discussion in 'Cosmetic' started by xpsnake, Sep 28, 2005.

1. xpsnake

xpsnake Bruce

Vehicle:
    1971 Ford Maverick 2-door
    I noticed during work on my '77 that the front bottommost corners of the doors rusted out due to water getting inside the door and pooling there.
    My '71 is 99.9% rust free, but the rust I do have, which has not gotten beyond a paint bubble, is in that spot.

Currently I am carving out the inner door skin in that corner with a dremel to clean out as much rust as I can, so far, there's been a lot of material inside there. I was just curious to see how many people have had this problem and what they did to fix it.

I think once I'm done cleaning it out, I'm going to remove the inner mechanisms of the door and have it taped off and fogged with rust bullet.

2. Jamie Miles

Jamie Miles the road warrior

Vehicle:
    13 Mavericks
    I'm afraid to pull my panels off and look in there. :(

3. Jean Doll

Jean Doll Maverick Restoration Tech

Vehicle:
    1977 Maverick 2 door with a 302.
    One thing I have noticed on a lot of doors and hoods is that the drain holes have been closed off by someone at the factory going overboard with the seam sealer. The Mustang we are working on had a rust problem on the corner of the one door. Once I had the door up on a sawhorse, the first thing I discovered was that the drain hole was filled with factory seam sealer. That effectively defeats the purpose right from the start. I always check to be sure the drain holes are open from the outside as well as the inside.

4. Mavaholic

Mavaholic Growing older but not up!

Vehicle:
    Original 72 Sprint Owner, 71 Comet GT, 57 Ranchwagon, 57 4 dr Wagon
    I have had many Broncos and as anyone who's ever had one knows, the tail gates rot out real quick. Its the same construction as a door. What I did was get some straws and push them up through the holes. Then sprayed a ton of that undercoating stuff until the entire seem was filled. Then I cut the straws off flush with the undercoat. Never had a rust problem with any after that treatment.

5. Ford_Motorheads

Ford_Motorheads Ford Addict

Vehicle:
    1961 Falcon, 1967 Ranchero, 1969 Gran Torino GT, 1974 Ranchero GT 1976 Mustang Stallion, 1977 Mustang coupe, 1978 Mach 1, and 2 1978 Cobras
    Yeah, I know it sounds weird but I have some relatives back east that drill small holes in the bottoms of their doors. 3 to be exact, 1 in the front, 1 in the center, and 1 in the back of the door. So, when it rains or when they are washing their car the water will drain out.

I'm re-doing my interior and all I found in my doors was dust and part of my original window sticker. :D

6. Jamie Miles

Jamie Miles the road warrior

Vehicle:
    13 Mavericks
    Thats not a window sticker. Thats a build sheet. :) If you can find the rest of it you should tape it back together and put it up with any other papers you have for your car.

7. Ford_Motorheads

Ford_Motorheads Ford Addict

Vehicle:
    1961 Falcon, 1967 Ranchero, 1969 Gran Torino GT, 1974 Ranchero GT 1976 Mustang Stallion, 1977 Mustang coupe, 1978 Mach 1, and 2 1978 Cobras
    Yeah, my bad. :slap:

That's all that I found of the build sheet. But, I do have some other original papers on the car. :yup: