Full Pin-On Hood

Discussion in 'Cosmetic' started by Racer_X, Mar 5, 2012.

1. Racer_X

Racer_X Maverick Hugger

Vehicle:
    1974 Maverick (1970 clone)
    dose anyone have any experiance with full pin-on hoods? :hmmm:

2. b_ryce70Mav

b_ryce70Mav Member

Vehicle:
    1970 Maverick
    Mine is that way now, and its steel. The obvious up side is it is very easy to work in my engine bay with the hood completely removed. The obvious downside is figuring out where to put the hood. Right now since the car is unpainted its not a big deal, I just pop it off and lean it up against the garage, or if I'm in a parking lot against the car. Once its painted that won't be acceptable, and its way too heavy to be trying to gingerly set it on a blanket on the roof as you would with a fiberglass hood. I will probably put my hinges back on before it goes to paint.

3. blugene

blugene Senior member Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    73 Comet GT, 72 Comet GT, 2008 "Comet" (our boxer, who is now in the galaxies)
    Unless you have a reason to actually have one I would suggest keep the hinges. Like mentioned, it becomes a hastle trying to put the hood someplace without damaging the corners or paint. AND it could be a two man job.

4. Racer_X

Racer_X Maverick Hugger

Vehicle:
    1974 Maverick (1970 clone)
    u make a good point, i had in mind to use a race weight hood but it still would be a pain to take off in windy weather

5. franktf

franktf Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    72 Mercury Comet
    I have had alot of cars with lift off hoods..... They have always been light weight fiberglass with dzus fastners to hold then on..... They are not hard to get off by yourself from the side..... I have always glued 4 small sponges towards the 4 corners of the hood just inside the bracing, just lifted it off and set the hood right on the roof (the sponges to protect the paint)..... You do half to be carefull if it gets very windy.....

6. blugene

blugene Senior member Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    73 Comet GT, 72 Comet GT, 2008 "Comet" (our boxer, who is now in the galaxies)
    I have seen them blow off the roof. Kinda funny and sad all at the same time.

7. don graham

don graham MCG State Rep

Vehicle:
    70 mav, 71 grabber, 73 Comet, 2004 f-250 crew cab diesel, 2001 f-250, 2004 explorer, 2007 Gold Wing trike.
    Don't forget to put the pins in. Don't even ask me how I know this one.:biglaugh:

8. Joe Dirt

Joe Dirt BBF life

Vehicle:
    1970 ford torino #1
    Leave the race car parts for race cars.

pin on hoods are a pain to deal with on a day to day basis

9. olerodder

olerodder Member

Vehicle:
    1970 Maverick
    Listen to what everyone has said, unless this is a "Race Only" car stick with the hinges........................it may look neat...........but it is a pain. I have a glass hood with Dzus fasteners, 2 along the back, 3 on each side, and a special latch in front................without the front latch the hood kind of comes up in front (over 100mph) if tied down................don't ask me how I know............I also have 2" foam along the sides and back for a cushion.
    When I travel with the car I have a U-Haul blanket I put on the roof and even in fairly high winds its never blown off.

10. 1974Mav250I6

1974Mav250I6 Member

Vehicle:
    1974 Ford Maverick
    I thought I saw a car with a pin on either side front end, but still on the hinges. I didnt look too bad I guess. Its all about preference, I would imagine. I could go on to imagine fastening two dummy pins on the read near the windshield so it would appear to have all four. But that would fake and to me fake holds a silliness to it. Or, maybe im thinking too much. lol Idk...