Fusing of a Fender

Discussion in 'Cosmetic' started by Erick-Mav, Nov 23, 2004.

1. Erick-Mav

Erick-Mav Maverick Punk

Vehicle:
    71 Grabber-Factory V8 w/3spd, 72 Maverick-351 Procharged for Strip, 71 Comet GT-331/4spd
    How hard would it be to splice together 2 halves (front and back) of a front fender along a line intersecting the top of the wheel well? I have two left fenders and one has a great front half but has dings in the back, and the other has a great back but a crunched front. If it's not too hard I could cut them in half and MIG weld them together to make one good fender.

P.S. - I'm a pretty good welder with the flux wire feed, but have recently upgraded to a MIG and it seems alot easier to weld.

-Erick

2. Mavaholic

Mavaholic Growing older but not up!

Vehicle:
    Original 72 Sprint Owner, 71 Comet GT, 57 Ranchwagon, 57 4 dr Wagon
    A lot of work but certainly should be reasonably easy to do. I think the hardest part would be to get the cut line at the same exact location.

3. Earl Branham

Earl Branham Certified Old Fart

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    '69.5 Maverick 302, T-5, Grabber Green
    Easier to fix the dinged fender than to cut and splice. But, if that is not feasible, it is a measure, cut and weld...then a lot of body work. Good luck!

4. Sam M.

Sam M. Just a nobody

Vehicle:
    1972 Black Comet EFI 2-Door, 1975 Blue Maverick factory 302 4-Door
    Measure measure measure!!! Did I mention you need to measure? Should be fairly straightforward after that.

Sam :)

5. Dan Starnes

Dan Starnes Original owner

Vehicle:
    Stallion, 72 Grabber, Sprint, 77 4dr Maverick
    I have done this more times that I can remember. Measuring is a good thing!! And keep the panel cool as possible of course. Actually a couple years ago I decided to to fix a fender on my old truck. By the time I was done I had used 3 different fenders. Cant even tell. Oh yeah make sure you paint the inside of the fender real well when done, I have even glassed some to keep out moisture. I love this kind of stuff!!!!!!!
    Dan

6. rayzorsharp

rayzorsharp I "AM" a Maverick!

Vehicle:
    Three 71 Maverick Grabbers, a 72 302 Sprint, a 73 LDO 2door parts car, a 76 silver v8 Stallion.
    I personally think fenders are too easy to come by to spend that kind of time on them. There are lots of board members here with parts available, probably some pretty close to you or anyone that might need a good one. Like someone else said, it's easier to repair dings or dents that to try this repair. Good luck whichever way you decide to go.

7. Dan Starnes

Dan Starnes Original owner

Vehicle:
    Stallion, 72 Grabber, Sprint, 77 4dr Maverick
    Ray is on the ball. Fenders are easy to come by. I didnt even think of that aspect. Creating a good fender would be my last option on one of these cars.
    Dan

8. Erick-Mav

Erick-Mav Maverick Punk

Vehicle:
    71 Grabber-Factory V8 w/3spd, 72 Maverick-351 Procharged for Strip, 71 Comet GT-331/4spd
    I'm going to keep looking for a fender, but they sure don't seem to be easy to come by out here. I need a 70-72 fender with the notch. I'll probably end up using one of the fenders I have and fixing the dents. Thanks.

9. Mavaholic

Mavaholic Growing older but not up!

Vehicle:
    Original 72 Sprint Owner, 71 Comet GT, 57 Ranchwagon, 57 4 dr Wagon
    The late model fenders are real easy to notch. Takes about 30 min. Let me know and I can send you a detailed drawing.