gettin started

Discussion in 'Cosmetic' started by cenc1984, Dec 12, 2007.

1. cenc1984

cenc1984 killa 72

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick Grabber
    well, I just got some paint and I need to know how to paint with metallic piant ? oh and its got flake in it need some help. on this one EVERYTHING time inbetween coats and such

thanks Alex

2. rayzorsharp

rayzorsharp I "AM" a Maverick!

Vehicle:
    Three 71 Maverick Grabbers, a 72 302 Sprint, a 73 LDO 2door parts car, a 76 silver v8 Stallion.
    Sorry Alex but it seems as though you are putting the cart before the horse here. You really should have practicing on something before you painted the car. Too many questions pop in my mind but I'm at work so I don't have a couple hours to try to tell you how to paint a car. At this point, the best I can tell you is read the directions carefully on the labels and take it slow. If you don't have good directions, Google for your info. Good luck!:)

3. cenc1984

cenc1984 killa 72

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick Grabber
    well I know how to paint but I've never used the metallic paint befor. and all I need to know is how it acts. can I do several small coats or dose it have to be one thick coat (as I was told form another person) ant the other question I have is time inbetween coats this I have had several people tell me several things. anything from 4 to 6 hours or 15 min. or 2 weeks so whats your take on this?

I know its alot at one time but I bought this car paint and it didn't come with a website or good instructions on the can, I need all the help I can get. its coming down to the wire I'm going to try and paint in the next 2 weeks or so.
    Any help will be gladly put to some good use!

4. rayzorsharp

rayzorsharp I "AM" a Maverick!

Vehicle:
    Three 71 Maverick Grabbers, a 72 302 Sprint, a 73 LDO 2door parts car, a 76 silver v8 Stallion.
    Exactly what brand and type of paint do you have?

5. DaMadman

DaMadman 3 pedals & 8cylinders=FUN

Vehicle:
    Maverick 1972,1970,1973
    Metallic paint (just from my experience) paints much like any other paint of the same type but you have to keep it agitated to keep the metal flake suspended.

Just an example of what I mean is if the paint is an acrylic enamel Metal Flake then it is going to go on just like any other acrylic enamel. If it is metal flake (metalic) laquer then if is going to be applied just like any other laquer paint.

The time between coats varies. If you are going to do the car and get it done then you need to let the first coat tack up good before applying the next coat but if you are going to do this one coat and wait awhile then it is my understanding that it is a good practice to wait until the paint is completely cured before applying another coat or you will have problems

Mind you the above advise is just from my limited experience (I have painted 2 or 3 cars in my day and they weren't professional grade when done but they looked ok from 5 feet :thumbs2:) and also what others have told me in the past. It is free advise and worth just about as much as you paid for it. hehehe

6. cenc1984

cenc1984 killa 72

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick Grabber
    ok, so the paint I'm going to use is

chamberlin's x-treme auromotive finishes ultra 9000, the color is, electric blue metallic it is a urethane base coat/ clear coat

this information might help you help me.

thanks guys
    Alex

7. RabidCustoms

RabidCustoms sic minds demand sic toys

one old trick for metalics that has worked well for me in the past, put a few large ball bearing in the pot, they will help keep the particles in suspension.

8. Mavman72

Mavman72 Gone backwards but lookin' forward

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick 2 door.Original V-8 3 spd std shift.Also a 72 one owner Sprint sporting a 351 Windsor
    Is the matallic in the base or clear??? I will assume its in the base(most common)most base coat clear coat paints require a 5 to 15 minute flash time between coats,this is to allow the solvents to cook off(dry out)before you apply the next coat.Metallics require you to have a good eye for flow out and suspension of the flake in the paint(lines/tiger stripes)in the metallic indicate a problem in application(not enough overlap) Ill get into that later.poor mix,dirty gun,air pressure too high or low.Many things can affect the job these are just a few,so you may want to read up, talk to a real pro painter and definitely practice on some junk BEFOR you tackle the car.If you have a few good paint jobes under your belt then listen up.Blue paint tends to cover well you dont(shouldnt)pile it on!3 even coats should cover the car just fine,you may need 4 to blend the flake if your not paying attention.(base colors are very easy to blend as you go)Method of transfer is important too.Gun with bottom hung cup will use more air pressure than an HVLP gun.When useing metallics,some preferr to use less pressure,some preferr more.I have found that useing an HVLP gun I use less pressure than it states on the can.when useing gravity fed or siphon gun(cup under gun) I like to use a little more pressure to get the flow out on the last coat.(its a fine line between good flow out) and separation of the flake.Best bet is to use the manufacturers recommendations.When shooting metallics,50 percent overlap from one pass to the next is Ideal for getting even flake flow out and coverage(dont skimp here)you can go 60 to 70 percent if coverage is poor but shouldnt be necessary with blue(unless its a candy color)then you go 70 to 75 percent overlap for uniformity of color and depth.As you see there are many factors to consider and most of what I gave you is generic info.Metallic blue isnt hard to do,but you need to pay close attention to your overlap and mix quality.Metallic colors will show the world your mistakes if you dont take your time and pay attention just as black will show body work sins like a neon signe.If you have a few good paint jobs under your belt you can do it just fine.Most important thing to remember is even coverage and proper pattern overlap along with good light and a good eye.Do you know what cross coating is???It works well with heavy metallics and candy colors.I dont want to confuse or scare you any further so I will stop here.Hope some of this helps you out.Remember:if all else fails,read the directions.Good luck.

9. Tom Laskowski

Tom Laskowski Member

Vehicle:
    (3) 71's,two V-8's and one 200 cid
    Wow! Long post from Buffalo, go out and have a beef on wick!

10. Mavman72

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick 2 door.Original V-8 3 spd std shift.Also a 72 one owner Sprint sporting a 351 Windsor
    Weck. Had one for lunch today thanks,MMMM it was good.

11. Sam M.

Sam M. Just a nobody

Vehicle:
    1972 Black Comet EFI 2-Door, 1975 Blue Maverick factory 302 4-Door
    Everyone here has given you good advice. The only thing I will add is, don't rush. Take your time, make sure the surfaces are prepared properly, line up your products on a bench, make sure you know what your paint:reducer ratios are and think ahead to the next step. Make sure your safety gear is in good shape - check your respirator! Good luck

12. cenc1984

cenc1984 killa 72

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick Grabber
    no, I'm sorry you will have to point me in the right direction on this one. oh and yes the matallic is in the base. The rest of your post makes perfect sense I was worried about overlap but you cleared it up for me THANKS :thumbs2:

as for safty I think I'm in the clear I have a sute, and a respirater.

thanks to all
    ALex

13. Mavman72

Vehicle:
    Cross coating is when you apply the second coat accross the first coat(perpendicular?) instead of in the same direction.Its done mostly with candy colors and paints jobs that get huge flake thrown over the base.(the big flake is suspended in the clear)I use a mid coat clear for this purpose.(low solids)allows the big flakes to lay down better.Its not really necessary for metallics.You would alternate your coats.One in normal directions(say front to back) next coat(top to bottom) then back to front to back and so on.When shooting candy colors you usually do about 4 to 6 coats depending on color/base color and desired depth.