Getting a new "Stallion" decal...

Discussion in 'Cosmetic' started by A_Bartle, Jan 18, 2005.

1. A_Bartle

A_Bartle Stallion Dreamer

Vehicle:
    1976 Yellow 2-door Maverick
    Has anyone purchased the "Stallion" decals from Osborn Reproductions? http://www.osborn-reproduction.com/ Are they any good?

I purchased a set from Phoenix and I was not happy with the quality :(. They were silk screened versions on a clear sheet, not like the orginal. I'm sending them back. http://www.phoenixgraphix.com/ford/1976mst.htm?

Even though I don't have a Maverick "yet", I was going to plan ahead and get the decals while I can.

Any advice? What did you "Stallions" owners do when it came to this important detail?

Thanks for the help!
    Art

2. dmhines

dmhines Dixie Maverick Boy

Vehicle:
    1971 Grabber / 2012 Mustang / 2009 Jeep Wrangler / 2013 Ducati / 2009 Buell XB12Scg
    Pretty sure Osborne are the same - they are on clear plastic.... I think I sold Dan Starnes an NOS set a while back ... not sure if he used them or not ...

3. Dan Starnes

Dan Starnes Original owner

Vehicle:
    Stallion, 72 Grabber, Sprint, 77 4dr Maverick
    Have not used the ones Dan sold me, and they are not for sale. My car still has the original set on it. Jean or Wes can probably advise you better on this than I can.
    Dan
    ps I also have some those reproductions that I bought years ago. I guess we disagree, I think the quality is fine and when put next to my decals on my car I see very very little difference.

4. Jean Doll

Jean Doll Maverick Restoration Tech

Vehicle:
    1977 Maverick 2 door with a 302.
    I have the Stallion decals from Osborns, which by the way is where AutoKrafters gets them. They seem to be pretty nice. We haven't got them on our Stallion yet, but we did install them on Wes's Stallion. They went on easy and look good. They are as dmhines stated. They are printed on clear plastic and are not cut out like the NOS ones. They are probably no different than the ones Phoenix Graphixs sells.

5. dmhines

Vehicle:
    1971 Grabber / 2012 Mustang / 2009 Jeep Wrangler / 2013 Ducati / 2009 Buell XB12Scg
    Is it possible to trim the clear plastic so they look more like the factory decals? I am guessing you aren't supposed to put the entire sheet on without trimming out the stallion logo ...

6. Jean Doll

Jean Doll Maverick Restoration Tech

Vehicle:
    1977 Maverick 2 door with a 302.
    I'm thinking about doing just that. I need to really look the decales over and figure out how to trim them so it doesn't end up looking like a hack job. I don't know what they looked like from the factory, so I'm a little reluctent to try triming them and ruining them.

7. dmhines

Vehicle:
    The factory was silkscreened vinyl .. The horse was seperate from the word Maverick ... each letter was a seperate piece of vinyl.

8. A_Bartle

A_Bartle Stallion Dreamer

Vehicle:
    1976 Yellow 2-door Maverick
    Stallion decal...

As it has been said, the originals were not on any kind of "clear" film, they were solid vinyl, and very nice quality. I'm afraid that the "clear" part of these repro's will yellow or crack someday (I have seen some Firebird repro's on a car that did that). Trimming it (very carefully) was exactly what I was thinking about, if there was not an alternative. Also, I noticed the decals at Osborn Reproductions were much cheaper than the ones at Phoenix (and Osborn doesn't even have an image on the web site to view), so I was a little leery of ordering them. I would feel safer if I knew that someone had done business with them and were happy with the product. Also, this may be a dumb question, but was does "NOS" stand for? I know you guys are talking about a "factory original" decal, but I wasn't sure what the letters stood for. Maybe it's too early and I'm not thinking clearly yet, lol.

Art

9. dmhines

Vehicle:
    I pretty sure Osborne makes the majority of the reproductions decals and other companies buy from them. All their stuff is very nice quality.

10. Dan Starnes

Dan Starnes Original owner

Vehicle:
    Stallion, 72 Grabber, Sprint, 77 4dr Maverick
    NOS is New Old Stock,, meaning old stock that had never been used.
    Dan

11. Mavaholic

Mavaholic Growing older but not up!

Vehicle:
    Original 72 Sprint Owner, 71 Comet GT, 57 Ranchwagon, 57 4 dr Wagon
    A word about NOS decals. I have a Sprint and paid good money for a set of NOS quarter badges. They were NOS alright, but so brittle from age that they were unusable. I bought a set of reproductions from Osborn and they were excellent quality and looked as good as the originals.