Glass replacement . . .

Discussion in 'Cosmetic' started by mashori, Oct 8, 2009.

1. mashori

mashori Member

Vehicle:
    1971 V8 Maverick
    I went to have my glass tinted and the guy said since my glass is old and scratched up it might not look good, he said the scratches will show much easier. What's the solution? Can I puff the scratched out of the glass or is it better to get new glass. I'm assuming they make new glass for our cars right?

2. Mavman72

Mavman72 Gone backwards but lookin' forward

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick 2 door.Original V-8 3 spd std shift.Also a 72 one owner Sprint sporting a 351 Windsor
    Windshield is available...As for the rest, Go fish. If the scratches are light they can be buffed out with the proper glass compound and buffing wheel.If they are deep,not so much.

3. mashori

mashori Member

Vehicle:
    1971 V8 Maverick
    they're actually not bad at all. very faint scratches, the dude at the glass shop said I can try buffing them out. I've never done it but I'm sure I can figure it out. Are the windows hard to take out of the tracks?
    If I can take them out what I'll do is just take them all in and have them buffed.

4. Mavman72

Mavman72 Gone backwards but lookin' forward

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick 2 door.Original V-8 3 spd std shift.Also a 72 one owner Sprint sporting a 351 Windsor
    They are not difficult to remove but the door glass fasteners are just big plastic push pins and break easily soo,be gentle.The quarter windows unscrew from the pillar(screws are under weather stripping) and unscrew from the roof.Pop plastic cover off mount (gently) and remove fasteners. Windshield/backglass if you take em out...Better have new weather stripping to put em in with.Good luck!!!

5. Dave B

Dave B I like Mavericks!

Vehicle:
    3 Grabbers
    I've polished the glass on my green grabber, it came out pretty nice. I used some stuff I can't spell the name of, if I remember, I'll look for it in the garage.

6. 71gold

71gold Frank Cooper Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    '73 Grabber

...may not be scratched enough to have to buff...:huh:

is he talking about inside or outside...

7. mashori

mashori Member

Vehicle:
    1971 V8 Maverick
    the quarter windows look pretty good, I'm not gonna mess with them. the front and rear glass and the door glass all have faint but noticeable scratches.

8. yellow75

yellow75 MCCI Oregon State Rep Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    72 Maverick 1976 Maverick Stallion 2007 Shelby GT 500 2019 Ford F150 FX4 2023 Bronco
    Eastwood company sells a glass buffer kit that will take out scratches, comes with compound and a wheel to put in your drill, works pretty good but beware if using on windshield and trying to take out a scratch that is too deep and working it much it will cause a noticeable distortion in the glass and will affect vision