Glove compartment??

Discussion in 'Cosmetic' started by danny, May 18, 2005.

1. danny

danny Member

Vehicle:
    77 maverick
    Hi,
    I have a question about the glove compartment of a 77 maverick 2dr. I don't know if you need a special key to open it becasue i have been trying to get it open these last couple of days but have not had any luck:huh:? I tired using the trunk key and engine key thinking that may work but that didnt work either. It is not fully closed so i stick my hand sort of half way in there but other then that i dont know how i could get it to open and fix that problem?

Last edited: May 18, 2005
  2. Jamie Miles

Jamie Miles the road warrior

Vehicle:
    13 Mavericks
    Hmm, you say it's half open? May try and shoot some WD 40 or something in on the latch. Sounds like the latch is froze up or stuck or something.

On our '74, the trunk key locks and unlocks the glove box. You turn the key to the left and it locks it, turn it to the right and it unlocks it.

If all else fails, I would give it a little "manipulation", if ya know what I mean. :huh:

3. danny

danny Member

Vehicle:
    77 maverick
    Reply to Jamie Miles

Thanks Jamie. I tired using the turn key but it doesn't work it wouldn't turn left or right? I may just have to use a little force is all less fail because it is funny that it be half way open and won't close hummm?

4. Wes

Wes Maverick Police Dept.

Vehicle:
    '76 Maverick Stallion '76 Maverick Metro Police K-9
    I have to agree with Jamie. It sounds like the latch mechanism is having an issue. I'd advise using a lubricant with more penetrating power than WD. I'd use Kroil or PB Blaster as these have more power to get into problem areas than WD. It is possible that the mechanism is broken altogether and you will have to play around with it to spring it open.

5. Yellow72Mavrick

Yellow72Mavrick Banned

Vehicle:
    1977 maverick 2 door ( my sons) 250 c4
    glove box

could be that the trunk lock was replaced at one time so its not the original key for the glove box...(y)

6. danny

danny Member

Vehicle:
    77 maverick
    Miles

Hi miles,
    Iam going to try some WD on the latch to see if that helps. I was thinking if it was possible that somebody could have changed the trunk latch and thats why the key may not work for the glove compartment? I don't know how you can tell if the key is the oringal or not but that it fits it fits? In case the WD doesn't work and all else fails how would I remove the old glove compartment latch to replace it with a new/used one? Were would could i get the latch??
    THanks in advance for all your help.
    Danny
    P.S. Would you know how to remove the back bench seat? I tired the method of pushing in on the bottom of the seat and pushing out to the trunk as describled in the mmb but could not get it to even move a little just lose form one side? The reason i want to remove the back seat is because i want to paint the plastics that are on each side of the seat L and R (don't know what there called).

7. maverick1970

maverick1970 MCG State Rep

Vehicle:
    69 1/2, 70 Maverick and 71 Grabber
    Been a long time but I think you can get to the screws on the bottom hinge of the glove compartment door. This will allow you to come in from the bottom and open it without to much damage.

8. Grabber5.0

Grabber5.0 Gear-head wannabe

Vehicle:
    71 Grabber
    They can be pretty stubborn sometimes. If you are small enough get in the car and kick it with your knee while pulling up on the bottom of the seat to pull it out of the hook that holds it down. It can be more of a workout to put them back in right! :D

9. Jamie Miles

Jamie Miles the road warrior

Vehicle:
    13 Mavericks
    maverick1970 is correct, I just got finished ripping apart the bottom of my dash to get at the metal part that the radio mounts to so I could cut it to fit a newer style radio. The door on the glove box bolts on from the bottom.

10. blugene

blugene Senior member Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    73 Comet GT, 72 Comet GT, 2008 "Comet" (our boxer, who is now in the galaxies)
    There may be hidden treasures under that stuborn seat!
    My lock was stuck half way once, and yes, it had to be replaced.:2cents: