Going compressor shopping...Anyone have any < $450 suggestions?

Discussion in 'Cosmetic' started by stockhatch, Apr 13, 2005.

1. stockhatch

stockhatch Re Member

Vehicle:
    '72 Grabber
    Im looking for a compressor that will support a HVLP paint gun, run air tools etc. My budget is as close to $400 as possible, and not exceeding $450. Does anyone have any suggestions? Is it possible to meet these expectations at this price? At the bare minimum, I want to be able to shoot a primer coat on my car.

Thanks

2. dmhines

dmhines Dixie Maverick Boy

Vehicle:
    1971 Grabber / 2012 Mustang / 2009 Jeep Wrangler / 2013 Ducati / 2009 Buell XB12Scg
    You can get a nice Craftsman for way less than that ...

3. RobertBailey

RobertBailey MCCI & MCG Member

Vehicle:
    1972 Grabber Clone,1970 Maverick, 1973 Grabber, 1973 2dr, 1973 Maverick(Parts Car) 2000 Ford SD Truck PowerStroke
    I had a craftsman 33gal 220v 5hp compressor, I just replaced it with
    an ingersoll rand 80gal 5hp dual stage. Got it at the tractor supply.
    Of course it is twice your budget but you wont run out of air.
    It kicks in at 140 then off at 175 and the regulator is set for about 125psi.
    My other one just couldnt keep up with the DA. Would keep up with a
    paint gun but I decided to go large since i had the money and was worth
    it too.
    Robert

4. Craig Selvey

Craig Selvey Indiana State Rep - MCCI

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick Grabber - Color: Orange Also, 1976 Ford Maverick 4-door, 1977 Mercury Comet 2-door.
  5. Jean Doll

Jean Doll Maverick Restoration Tech

Vehicle:
    1977 Maverick 2 door with a 302.
    A word of caution reguarding Craftsman compressors... JUNK!!!! We bought a 5 hp compressor with a 60 gallon tank from Sears for around $400 to replace our old Maco ( Coleman) when it broke down.( It was 10 years old at the time.) The Craftsman was the biggest pile of scrap we ever saw. We never abused it, but within one year it blew up two motors and left us stranded for weeks.:mad: Never again. We got rid of it and found someone to get our old Coleman running again. Coleman compressors are not cheap, but they will last for years and can run all your tools without bogging down. You really need to know how much horse power and what size tank you think you will need to run your tools to determine how much you will need to spend. The better the compressor, the longer they will last.

6. Kelly Evans

Kelly Evans Member

Vehicle:
    1969 1/2 Maverick
    craftsman

I have had a Craftsman 30 gal 5hp that has lasted for years. Its loud as crap but I guess its want your going to do with it. Mine is used a little while each day. Dont know that I would want it to use all day everyday but I guess each has his own experience. I kinda wonder if most of the "home" type compressors is not made by a handfull of companies with imported or generic parts kinda like lawn mowers,vcrs and most everything else thats not true "industrial" guage. JMO

7. dmhines

Vehicle:
    1971 Grabber / 2012 Mustang / 2009 Jeep Wrangler / 2013 Ducati / 2009 Buell XB12Scg
    Pretty sure Craftsman is made by Campbell Hausfeld ....

8. Earl Branham

Earl Branham Certified Old Fart

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    '69.5 Maverick 302, T-5, Grabber Green
    I just bought a Craftsman 30 gal. 5hp compressor, and so far it has been great. Just can't use a die grinder or spray gun for too long...like a minute or two. But, I knew what I was getting and what I could afford. $299, and a set of tools came with it. Just hope I have better luck than Jean with it.

9. cdeal28078

cdeal28078 Member

Vehicle:
    71 F100
    Whichever brand you go with try and stay way from the oil-less types. They are for light duty use. mine, bought at Lowes is a 5hp 60 gallon devilbus. Oil-less. I sand-blasted, primed and painted my truck using it, which was probably abusing it. It cracked a piston a 6 months old. Granted it was very easy and cheap to fix and I fixed it myself. If I ever buy another it will be a oil filled type.
    I bought 2 new pstons and sleeves for mine for $35 and rebuilt it in about 2 hours so I guess it was'nt too bad but the oil types will run for years and years without any problems. There are trade offs though. An oil-less costs alot less. Does'nt have oil in the system to need filtering. It's alot loader than oil types. Cheaper to work on the oil types. Runs hotter than oil types so you need good water filtering.
    clint

10. dmhines

Vehicle:
    Yeah ... I've always been told the type where the compressor is seperate from the Motor and driven by a belt is the best type to get ...

11. cdeal28078

cdeal28078 Member

Vehicle:
    71 F100
    I think they are. My airless is so load that the dawg runs from the shop whenever she sees me headed to turn it on. lol
    It also is hot so I always have alot of water in the filter.
    How are your new seats coming?
    clint

12. dmhines

Vehicle:
    I stopped by there yesterday and he hadn't started yet .. actually he was out to lunch and I didn't talk with him. Gonna stop by today and see if he is gonna squeeze me in before those NOVA seats I was telling you about .....

13. Jean Doll

Vehicle:
    I hope you have better luck with yours too. The one we bought was intended for industrial use, but it just didn't cut it. The first time the motor went, it literally exploded! The bearing went right through the bottom of the motor. The Sears repairman who installed the new motor told us he had the same compressor and his motor blew up too. It turns out that model compressor came from the factory with bad motors, which Sears knew about. Of coarse, Sears never bothered to tell anyone about it either. The motors where cheap imports. The second motor seized up too. That's when we got smart and got the old Coleman up and running again. We will never buy another Craftsman Compressor again, especially now that Sears is going to be bought out by K-Mart. Do you want a compressor that is endorsed by Martha Steward?

14. Jean Doll

Vehicle:
    Here's a funny side-bar on the Sears Compressor in my last post. We sold that compressor to our neighbor who got it fixed yet again. He hardly ever uses it so it will now probably last forever. Last week he came over all pi**ed off and said he was going to throw the compressor in the dumpster because it would not start. My hubby told him to push the re-set button and see if it would start. It didn't. The neighbor starts to pull off the hoses so he could toss the thing when my husband suggested checking the breaker box. The neighbor says the compressor is running on the same line as his welder and the welder runs. Well, we had him pull the panel off the breaker box anyway and guess what? Not only was the compressor NOT on the same line as the welder, the breakers for the compressor were shut off. My husband flipped the breaker and the compressor sprang to life. I think our neighbor turned about 5 shades of red.:oops:

15. tim keck

tim keck truckdrivintrailertrash

Vehicle:
    '72 Comet, '75 Maverick, '85 F150 4x4 ,'93 F150,'75 F100,'77 Jeep Wagoneer,'91 Dodge D250 Cummins,'90 F150 xtra cab 4x4, '93 F150 4x4
    sounds like something I'd do...