going from big to small bumpers

Discussion in 'Technical' started by cougar18, Oct 24, 2007.

1. cougar18

cougar18 Member

Vehicle:
    74 maverick/71 comet
    have a 74 going to put smalls on is there any body mods to the back that has to be done. i know that i have to put the brakets from the trunk in but what about frame hole corner mods anything like that?thanks

2. newtoford

newtoford Member

Vehicle:
    '76 Maverick, '76 Comet, 78 Monte Carlo, '85 Cutlass Supreme, '86 Regal Limited, '87 Grand Prix
    just drill out the 4 holes for the brackets and fill in a few pin holes on the rear 1/4 where the big bumper filler panel hooked up.

3. Eddie Maverick

Eddie Maverick General Garageman

Vehicle:
    1974 Maverick LDO
    Yep, pretty much all there is to it. I just did the same on my 74. You can check out the last couple pages in my post in the new members section.
    Fairly straightforward, allthough lining up the rear bumper takes some patience, and ballz, because if you drill in the wrong spot, you have a big hole to fill up. So measure 10x and drill once. If you need any help, feel free to ask.

Here is a link to my post

http://www.maverick.to/mmb/showthread.php?t=36800

4. Eddie Maverick

Vehicle:
    1974 Maverick LDO
    just noticed you are in Norcal
    what part?

5. newtoford

newtoford Member

Vehicle:
    '76 Maverick, '76 Comet, 78 Monte Carlo, '85 Cutlass Supreme, '86 Regal Limited, '87 Grand Prix
    even if you do miss the spot on the brackets the bumperitsself will cover any mess up. youd prolly want to make them a little wider then nedd so you can hav some adjustment

6. Eddie Maverick

Vehicle:
    1974 Maverick LDO
    yeah you are right, I'm just crazy about drilling holes in my car. So I went through the whole process 10x

sweating, anal puckering, more sweating, sharpie marking, having wife hold it up to the markings, sweating, drink a beer, take a picture, drink another beer, yell at wife for moving it a smidge, picking bumper off ground since wife threw it down and left, begging her to come back out, sweating while drilling one hole at a time, standing back and admiring my handy work, and having yet another beer. :thumbs2:

Oh yeah, I made my own mounts (brackets). So if you buy the $40.00 ones I'm sure your results will vary.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2007
  7. cougar18

cougar18 Member

Vehicle:
    74 maverick/71 comet
    thanks for the info. kinda like you ggr i hate holes in my car whats worse its my wife's baby that i'm doing this too. we live in susanville ca its 90 miles northwest of reno nv

8. Eddie Maverick

Vehicle:
    1974 Maverick LDO
    Ooooh yeah especially on the wifes car. Too bad you are not closer we could make a wrench day out of it. If you ever mave it down this way (Sac) you are more than welcome to some cold ones, and a hand if needed.

9. cougar18

cougar18 Member

Vehicle:
    74 maverick/71 comet
    its a date(losely speaking lol)is there blue bloods(ford fans) in that area?or are you surounded by bowties?how about shows,clubs ect can you give us some info
    thanks

10. Eddie Maverick

Vehicle:
    1974 Maverick LDO
    I'd say it's a pretty even mix. I used to be a Stang guy, but that scene kept gettin younger and more annoying so i got out of it. I've wanted a Maverick for a long time so I got one and am attempting to make some personal modifications. I live in a fairly quiet neighborhood and to be quite honest there are more VW's around here than anything (I also have 3 of those)
    But Im always down to wrench and help where I can. As far as clubs and shows. I wish!

11. newtoford

newtoford Member

Vehicle:
    blue bloods?

w have a TON of mustangs out here but not much of anything else ford...