grabber grille

Discussion in 'Cosmetic' started by JLUDE96, Jun 30, 2007.

1. JLUDE96

JLUDE96 Member

Vehicle:
    1970 MAVERICK
    what is needed to install an grabber grille to and non grabber maverick 70 2 door model, and are the parts hard to come by??

2. newtoford

newtoford Member

Vehicle:
    '76 Maverick, '76 Comet, 78 Monte Carlo, '85 Cutlass Supreme, '86 Regal Limited, '87 Grand Prix
    arent they just the same grill with a diffrent disign?

3. JLUDE96

JLUDE96 Member

Vehicle:
    1970 MAVERICK
    the grabber has sport lights right???

4. newtoford

newtoford Member

Vehicle:
    '76 Maverick, '76 Comet, 78 Monte Carlo, '85 Cutlass Supreme, '86 Regal Limited, '87 Grand Prix
    the brazilian grill has round lights in it if thats what you mean. or do you mean turn signals in the grill, like on my car?

5. JLUDE96

JLUDE96 Member

Vehicle:
    1970 MAVERICK
    Are They Just Turn Signals??i Thought They Were Foglights(sport Lamps). Are Your Lens Clear Or Amber?

6. newtoford

newtoford Member

Vehicle:
    the ones in my grill are amber turn signals, same on my comet. i dont think any mav or comet had fog lights or anything like that.

7. DaMadman

DaMadman 3 pedals & 8cylinders=FUN

Vehicle:
    Maverick 1972,1970,1973
    71 and 72 they were NOT tunr signals, the lights in the grill starting becoming turn signals in 1973 when the bumpers started getting wider.

on the 71 and 72 Grabbers the were considered Sportlamps, the weren't really any good as fog lights unles I guess you could put a higher wattage bulb in it ????Maybe???

Anyway there's nothing you really need to install the grille, but if you want the STOCK Grabber thing going on you need a little "sportlamp" switch that installs under the dash in the package tray, but if you just want them to work when the parking lights come on you can wire them (splice) into the front side Marker lights and if you want them to work as parking and turn signals you can change the socket to an 1157a socket and run one wire to the marker light and the other one to the turn signal light that resides in the hole between the bumber and the valence. and then make sure the outside of the socket is well grounded.

The latter is the way mine were hooked up ion my 1970 V8 Maverick. The "sportlamps" cam on when you pulled the switch out 1 Click and stayed on when the headlights were on and then when you turned on the turning signal the coinsiding light blinked as wel as the stock turning signal under the bumper.

8. T.L.

T.L. Banned

Vehicle:
    '73 Maverick 2-door, V-8
    All '73-'77 Maverick grills themselves are the same as the '71-'72 "Grabber" grill. The only difference is that the lights in the '71-'72s were not turn signals, but rather sport lamps. The serve as turn signals & parking lamps on standard '73-'77s...

9. JLUDE96

JLUDE96 Member

Vehicle:
    1970 MAVERICK
    are the 71-72 grabber grill and sportlight switch hard to come by?? and what is involed in installing the switch to an non grabber car (70 model).

10. T.L.

T.L. Banned

Vehicle:
    '73 Maverick 2-door, V-8
    Any automotive light switch will work. Installation is pretty simple.

I had an original Grabber sportlamp switch, but it would have been in the way of my gauge pod, so I used an aftermarket switch from AutoZone and mounted it below the parking brake handle on my '73. I like the fact that it lights up when switched "on". The original is just a toggle--no pilot light...

(I have aftermarket sport lamps under the bumper, not Grabber sport lamps)

Last edited: Jul 3, 2007