GrabberGT Ev. 5

Discussion in 'Maverick/Comet Projects' started by GrabberGT, Apr 10, 2009.

1. GrabberGT

GrabberGT Chris

Vehicle:
    72 Grabber 302
    Every year I go through some sort of serious upgrade for the Mav. I have the hardest time leaving it alone. It looks great and always has but there is always something with another car or trend that catches my attention and I have to go for it. Last year it was serpentine pulley system, A/C, electric fan, aluminum radiator, battery relocation, fatmat sound deadener, front speaker panels, front seats, and build a new center console. The year before was the heads, cam, headers, mustang fuel tank, and stereo system. In '06 I did the T-5 conversion. In '05 I lined the trunk upgraded intake manifold and carb, and installed new seats. Each year my upgrades tend to be more and more complex. This years editions are sure to be the most complex yet.

This year I bring to you GrabberGT Evolution 5. For your entertainment pleasure, I will document (at least try to) a number of mechanical feats that will be sure to stunn and amaze you... OK yeah right. Just try not to laugh to hard.

Step 1. remove motor/trans. - complete

That was an experience. Nobody told me that you'd have to jack up the car, lift the motor, tilt the tail shaft down, then lower the car back down in order to get that thing out of there.

Step 2 mount new radiator - complete

I bought one of the Mav specific 3 core aluminum rads. Its a really nice quality looking piece but as others here have found out, the petcock will not clear the lower strut cross member. Actually not only the petcock but the entire rad would not fit down between the cross member and the rad support. I had to trim some of each to make it fit. Once done though it does look nice there.

I still need to mount my electric fan and fab up a shroud.

Step 2. remove fenders -

Step 3. update front suspension

Step 4. rewire/clean engine bay

skip ahead several steps...

Step ??. Install Maverick Man Carbon Cowl hood. IF I can find a way to get one here that is. :D

I need to have this complete in time for 3 back to back events. 1. Texas MCCI Mini-meet on 9/26. 2. Good Guys Rod and Custom Show 10/3. 3. Drive to Cruisin the Coast Biloxi 10/7.

a couple before pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Dirty photos I know but thats how I roll. :cry:

More to come.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2009
  2. don graham

don graham MCG State Rep

Vehicle:
    70 mav, 71 grabber, 73 Comet, 2004 f-250 crew cab diesel, 2001 f-250, 2004 explorer, 2007 Gold Wing trike.
    Will look great. Now get to work.:burnout:

3. GrabberGT

GrabberGT Chris

Vehicle:
    72 Grabber 302
    Alright, the fender is off. Now I just need to cross my fingers and hope this fits like its supposed to.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. greasemonkey

greasemonkey Burnin corn

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    1973 ford maverick Grabber,2017 dodge ram,88t-bird,indian scout,Indian Chieftain.95 Mustang GT
    nice stuff! Always nice to see an evolution in the right direction.

5. rayzorsharp

rayzorsharp I "AM" a Maverick!

Vehicle:
    Three 71 Maverick Grabbers, a 72 302 Sprint, a 73 LDO 2door parts car, a 76 silver v8 Stallion.
    That's gonna be awesome. Can't wait to check it out when you get to Biloxi. Hopefully this year we can get together with a few Mavs and do a little cruising. I'm assuming Ray is gonna have his there again?

6. stephen

stephen jet mechanic

Vehicle:
    69.5 Maverick
    I like the front suspension, what company makes it?

7. GrabberGT

GrabberGT Chris

Vehicle:
    72 Grabber 302

Total Control Products/Chris Alston Fabrications

8. CornedBeef4.6L

CornedBeef4.6L no longer here

Vehicle:
    no longer here
    Since my brother does not want to go Mustang II but wants his to handle better and stop faster he is seriously considering this set up or global west.

Looks great, i have always liked your car, it has the right look, just enough to make it stand out but not obnoxious and protouring/road racing is just so cool to start with!!!!

9. CornedBeef4.6L

CornedBeef4.6L no longer here

Vehicle:
    no longer here
    I believe MavMark is running this setup(he used the mustang one) he loves it and I am sure he will chime in on this thread sooner or later.........

10. 408w-maverick

408w-maverick Member

Vehicle:
    1974 Maverick 2 door
    quick question,where did you get that chin spoiler?

11. GrabberGT

GrabberGT Chris

Vehicle:
    72 Grabber 302
    Its from a 68ish mustang piece from a Mustang catalog. I dont remember which one I ordered it from.

12. Positively Ralf

Positively Ralf Here and There

Vehicle:
    1974 Maverick
    Where you running the original stock suspension before this upgrade? BTW, does that suspension come from a specific car?

13. GrabberGT

GrabberGT Chris

Vehicle:
    72 Grabber 302
    Mostly original before the upgrade. I had 620 lb mustang spring less a coil to get the stance I wanted.

Total Control Products makes a kit for the Maverick.

http://www.totalcontrolproducts.com/fcoc-fd.html

I bought this from a guy who had it for a 70 mustang. (It was nealry half price with the brakes) I called TCP and asked if it would work. All the part numbers match less the upper coil-over mount. Its an inch longer than the one made specifically for the Mav. Therefore I will not get as much initial drop as I would otherwise. There are options for correcting this but I am going to see how this lands first and go from there.

I've got the passenger side mounted but have to wait for my safety wire and brake line order to come in before I can complete it.

14. Dave B

Dave B I like Mavericks!

Vehicle:
    3 Grabbers
    Can you buy the Maverick part, and swap it out? Post some pic's of it installed, I'm thinking of ordering the same stuff for my car.

15. GrabberGT

GrabberGT Chris

Vehicle:
    72 Grabber 302
    I havent asked about buying the Mav upper C/O mount separately. Unlike other parts, this one is not listed on in the catalog as available outside the kit. Its easy enough to swap out though if needed. The other options would be to make spacers to raise the C/O mount or drill the c/o mount holes higher up within the mount itself. :hmmm:

The spacers would be the likely fix as I plan to make a set shock tower braces (export brace) anyway. The shock tower plates for the braces would simply be installed under the c/o mount to do double duty as spacers.

If any of the obove didnt make sense (highly possible with the way MY mind works. lol) review the below instuction guides. It should help.

coilover conversion:
    http://www.totalcontrolproducts.com/download/instructions/7903-COLVF-10.pdf

export brace:
    http://www.totalcontrolproducts.com/download/instructions/7903-TWRB-01.pdf