gt40p headers

Discussion in 'Technical' started by 77mav302, Feb 15, 2004.

1. 77mav302

77mav302 Member

Vehicle:
    77mav302/2dr, 70mav 2dr
    has anyone ever seen or heard of a set of headers that would fit a Mav, Falcon, early Mustang or some similar type car with gt40p heads? I recently got a killer deal on an engine from a '99 Mercury Mountaineer (Explorer) and want to use it with the stock heads if possible. I could just pull 'em and put on an a set of D00E 351W heads I already had ported and such but I wanted to keep this a nice daily driver with a little cam and intake with headers and just drive it, any thoughts, suggestions?

2. v8maverick

v8maverick Member

Vehicle:
    1973 Maverick, 1972 Grabber
    I've tried finding headers that fit P heads myself with no luck, I think it was the driver side that was giving me problems because the header tubes turn back right away and covers the spark plug port ,the passenger side was not a problem. Instead of hacking up the driverside header I installed 289 hipo cast repo manifolds they work great, the stock cast iron manifolds will also work. If you install these heads on a older 302 engine you need to drill 8 3/16-1/4" holes in the block so the coolant passages match to the heads or it will overheat so I hear. New to this Forum John Esbenshade owner of a 1973 Maverick w/302 :)

3. bmcdaniel

bmcdaniel Senile Member

Vehicle:
    '70 Maverick Grabber
    I'm running GT40P's on mine. Using the same headers I used with 351W and 302 heads - Blackjacks by Dynomax. I'm using Accel "shorty" spark plugs (#P526S) and I put 90 deg. distributor cap boots on the plug end of my wires. Saves a lot of room. Have loosen the headers and use a modified spark plug socket to get the plugs out. But I really like the "P" heads. I opened up the valve pockets and the exhaust port. Just cleaned up the intake port a little. 1.7:1 roller rockers.

4. 77mav302

77mav302 Member

Vehicle:
    77mav302/2dr, 70mav 2dr
    thanks for the info folks, a couple more questions came up with your replies however. How easy is it to get your plugs in? On a Chevy Nova my kids use it's easier to get them out by grabbing with a channlelock and breaking insulator off and then using a box wrench to get it out but it's easier to put them in than to get them out.

5. bmcdaniel

bmcdaniel Senile Member

Vehicle:
    '70 Maverick Grabber
    How easy is it to get your plugs in?

I have to back out the header bolts about 1/2" inch and use my modified plug socket. Forgot to mention previoously that I did a little grinding on the header flanges, nothing radical.

6. v8maverick

v8maverick Member

Vehicle:
    With gt40p heads and 289 hipo exhaust manifolds changing sparkplugs is the same as the original 302 heads and manifolds, I use the spark plugs that are recomended for the explorer with gt40p heads and you can use straight or angled boots. The bad thing about the 289 hipo manifolds that they are $$$. I have some pictures with this combo bolted together and it shows the
    access that you will have to the plugs, just need to figure out how to upload here or I can Email if you want them.

7. bmcdaniel

bmcdaniel Senile Member

Vehicle:
    '70 Maverick Grabber
    Yeah, for the heck of it I put the original 302 manifolds on just to see if they fit. There was no interference, but it kind of takes away from the reason for installing high flow heads. BTW, about a year ago there was a magazine article where they dynoed an engine with 289 HiPo manifolds then switched to tube headers with no other changes. The tube headers showed a gain of almost 100 hp!

8. v8maverick

v8maverick Member

Vehicle:
    The artical you must be referring to was in Mustang/ford mag they put Hooker super comp headers on a early 60's fairlane with a 347 engine making close to 400hp ,if you read the multiple articals I think they were using eldebroc heads and the hipo exhaust wouldn't match the ports on the heads, so there was alot more going on for the performance hit. Installing the hipo manifolds on a pretty much stock mountaineer engine with mild cam and carb on a daily driver is not going to take that much of a performance hit , 15hp at best if any at all. You could make that back with a good clutch fan. So it all comes down what is more important to the person who is doing the mods and what they are willing to put up with, its all a compromise.

77mav302 if you use the 1970 351w heads on the 99 block you probably will have to drill holes into the block to align coolant ports like you would when installing newer style heads on a older block ,would be a good idea to research.

9. bmcdaniel

bmcdaniel Senile Member

Vehicle:
    '70 Maverick Grabber
    v8maverick

Is your car a manual trans or automatic? Just wondered if those manifolds cleared a Mavericks clutch linkage. I have seen where guy's have had those manifolds Extrude Honed to open them up and breathe better. Between the price of the manifolds and Extrude Hone, that's a lot of bucks.

10. n2omaverick

n2omaverick Member

Vehicle:
    Headers

guys I have the same problem with my Headman 1 5/8 headers I run the new Pro Topline Cyclone aluminum 200 cc heads and it has the raised exhaust port its raised 3/8 of an inch just enough to make it so the spark plug all but hits the $#4 5 and 6 exhaust tubes. The windsor head from World products have this same exhaust port and Hooker has headers that fit but they need spacers unless they are run on a 351 )1" width difference v2 302 So my question is what headers are you guys running, My car really suffers with 1 5/8 headers but what are the other solutions, What headers are the big maverick guys running (big guys meaning 5-600 hp low 10 second guys)
    thanks
    Dave

11. 77mav302

77mav302 Member

Vehicle:
    77mav302/2dr, 70mav 2dr
    Thanks to all you for your input and suggestions. I decided to just go with a stock 302 block out my '77 and the D0OE 351W heads with a warm not hot cam and forget the Gt40P's for now. It will fit with minor header mods into my V-8 ranger project. But again thanks for your advice and info.

12. v8maverick

v8maverick Member

Vehicle:
    bmcdaniel

The car is automatic and I'm still using the column shifter, they fit with no problem. I also installed a 1967 mustang hipo H pipe 2 1/4" ,had to cut 1" out so it would fit without hitting firewall. The part that I'm not happy with is that the hipo exhaust manifold outlets are 2 1/4" but only a 2" pipe can be connected becauase of the flange arangement, the 2 1/4" H pipe comes with reduced 2" ends , major restriction for any high HP. For now the cast manifolds work great on the street ,gives it that stock look.

13. PINKY

PINKY .....John Ford.....

Vehicle:
    1970 Ford Maverick
    Dave I am running 1 5/8 headers on mine.......and from what I have been told they are killing my hp. I had a guy here in town that put my set-up on the computer and he figured up close to 80 hp lost with the little headers. I am having a set of custom headers made and hopefully it will help my quest for a 9 on motor, little tires and foot brake.

O and that was not taking into consideration the "modifying" that was done to the 1 5/8 headers to make them fit. I am figuring on a major improvement.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2004
  14. v8maverick

v8maverick Member

Vehicle:
    n2omaverick

I see your also located in Delaware, its good to see another Maverick fan nearby. Can't help you with the header problem but my guess is you'll need to have custom headers made going larger then 1 5/8", there's not much of a market or choice when it comes to Maverick headers.

15. windsor

windsor Member

Vehicle:
    1970 maverick
    351 windsor in a 70 mav

i recently put a 351 in and i need to know which headers will work,any suggestions would be helpful.
    and im wondering about an oil pan that would fit to i need one with front sump