Halogen headlamps

Discussion in 'Cosmetic' started by Sam M., Jul 27, 2004.

1. Sam M.

Sam M. Just a nobody

Vehicle:
    1972 Black Comet EFI 2-Door, 1975 Blue Maverick factory 302 4-Door
  2. maverick1970

maverick1970 MCG State Rep

Vehicle:
    69 1/2, 70 Maverick and 71 Grabber
    I used a Painless Performance Halogen Headlight Harness kit along with common H6024 Halogen lamps. This is one of the best upgrades that I have done. You can actually see at night. I am considering some of the Tri-Bar or projector lamps. I have found that the quality of these projector lamps vary greatly as some are plastic and others are glass. With the H4 style lamps you will likely need to modify the headlamp buckets.
    There is another thread titled "lite relay upgrade done" where some others have performed this upgrade.
    http://mmb.maverick.to/showthread.php?t=5561&highlight=headlight+relay

3. Maverick Man

Maverick Man The Original Maverick Man

Vehicle:
    Two 1973 LDO Mavericks (one 4 Drag one 4 driving like Mad on the roads :) ) also have a 75 6cyl Stock! Ok, well sort of Stock :P
    those are made in china... your best bet are to get hellas..the housing is made better... they are H4's and they are 34.95 from summit. no need to change the wiring. i'm sure there is no harm to change it if you want to.. i was a consern to me but i've been running these for over 3 years now and they have been fine.

if you want hyper white (or what people call HID look) looking bulbs you can just buy them.. i'd suggest PIAA, Koito or RAZOs

they are a night and day differance!

good luck

4. Charlie

Charlie maverick.to/grabber

Vehicle:
    1970 Ford Maverick Grabber (Modified)
    The only big issue is that the Halogens will draw more power. The stock system in good shape can handle it, but I know after I went to Halogens I replaced my headlamp switch with a new OEM one just in case. If they fail they usually melt the plug too, so its good insurance.

5. Sam M.

Sam M. Just a nobody

Vehicle:
    Good point, Charlie. I'll add that to my list...

Sam :)

6. maverick1970

Vehicle:
    In stock form all headlamp power runs through the headlight switch, combine this with 30 year old wiring and you have some severe voltage drop, which causes the switch meltdown and dim lights. With the Painless Wiring the current is drawn straight from the supply, the stock wiring is simply used to activate the relays both in low and high beam modes.

7. T.L.

T.L. Banned

Vehicle:
    '73 Maverick 2-door, V-8
    I put Halogens in mine 12 years ago and never had a problem. I think they're Sylvania...

8. M.A.V.

M.A.V. Yep,my real initials.

Vehicle:
    1972 Grabber Maverick,1966 Fairlane GT Pro Street
    Ditto on the Sylvanias! They made a very big difference on my car.

9. shaunh82

shaunh82 Member

Vehicle:
    71 Pinto sportsroof
    that's all I have, just stadard autozone halogen lights, they work almost as good as the lights in my Ranger, but I'm also up a lot higher in the truck, and I think I changed all the bulbs in the entire car for about $30

10. Sam M.

Sam M. Just a nobody

Vehicle:
    I should have been more clear. I wasn't talking about sealed beam halogens. I meant that I was looking to convert to the projector style lamps with removable halogen H4 bulbs like the Tri-bar or Hella that Maverickman referred to. Just wondering who has done it and what brand to go with. Thanks for all responses so far guys!

11. T.L.

T.L. Banned

Vehicle:
    '73 Maverick 2-door, V-8
    Seems a bit unneccessary, but good luck...

12. Sam M.

Sam M. Just a nobody

Vehicle:
    Bobcat taillights are unnecessary too, but you did it because you liked the look, right? Same here... I like the look of a clear headlight, and the convenience of a modern replacable bulb.

13. Thack

Thack vision advicator

Vehicle:
    71 2 Dr Maverick, 70 Mustang Sportsroof, 77 F100 4x4, 72 maverick grabber wifes
    We put them on our car, the brand we got doesn't put that much light off so we only use them for shows. We have cool blue bulbs that look great with the blue car. I had to modify the adjusting buckets, making the hole bigger for the rubber seal on the bulb.

My buddy Ken got a set off e-bay that work better than the set I have. They look similar with clear lenses and the refractor built in the reflector, but work a whole lot better. I am not a big fan of try-bars or hella's. Hella's I beleave have the refractors in the lenses so you don't get the new car look just the removable bulb.

14. maverick1970

Vehicle:
    Summit carries the Zoops lights which are made of Glass. I bought a set of lights off E-bay but wasn't impressed with the quality, they are Acrylic and pretty cheaply made. Pick up a copy of Street Rodder Magazine their will be several vendors advertising various lights. You can also stop by your local Harley Davidson dealer they should carry several different 7" lamps.

15. black396

black396 Member

Vehicle:
    Comet
    If you really want to go over the limit with the H4 element, they come in 55/60 watts, 100/55Watts, and 135/? watts. I built a 46 Dodge PU hotrod, and used a hard to find brand, Cibie, and replaced the whole lens. It is one of the European focused lens, and with 135 Watts, you can see all the way to tomorrow. You will need to use a relay, cuz those puppies will smoke the stock system.

Once you get over the 55/60 element, the larger wiring will all for more juice to the light and more illumination