Has anyone left their interior out?

Discussion in 'Cosmetic' started by stmanser, May 13, 2005.

1. stmanser

stmanser Looking for a Maverick

give me some ideas....i like the lighter weight not having interior in...what are some of the things you have done to sound deaden the car and what not...

i cant believe that the rear seat and carpet and all that lightens up the car this much...

the family and i dont drive in the mav any more...so i am thinking of leaving it bare...except the front seats.... but i think i may put some insualtaion and carpet in it...and a rear seat seperator...

thanks

2. Mavaholic

Mavaholic Growing older but not up!

Vehicle:
    Original 72 Sprint Owner, 71 Comet GT, 57 Ranchwagon, 57 4 dr Wagon
    The race car look.

3. just1993

just1993 Mike

Vehicle:
    70' & 71' 2 Door and 76 4 Door
    About 20 years ago I used aluminum sheeting in place of the door panels and where the rear seat would go. It made the car lighter and the other kids at school couldn't bum rides from me anymore. "Sorry no back seat" Eventually I covered the aluminum in the back with carpet to match the floor and added some speakers.

Hope this helps

Mike

4. Craig Selvey

Craig Selvey Indiana State Rep - MCCI

Vehicle:
    1972 Maverick Grabber - Color: Orange Also, 1976 Ford Maverick 4-door, 1977 Mercury Comet 2-door.
    I found the best sound deadner is an interior: seats, carpet, etc.

5. stmanser

lol...i agree...i am not going for the race car look....not adding roll cage...just want to keep it light....if i need a rear seat..well damn...it only take 30 mins to put it in

6. dmhines

dmhines Dixie Maverick Boy

Vehicle:
    1971 Grabber / 2012 Mustang / 2009 Jeep Wrangler / 2013 Ducati / 2009 Buell XB12Scg
    I can't see the rear seat and carpet saving more the 30 lbs ... :huh:

7. tim keck

tim keck truckdrivintrailertrash

Vehicle:
    '72 Comet, '75 Maverick, '85 F150 4x4 ,'93 F150,'75 F100,'77 Jeep Wagoneer,'91 Dodge D250 Cummins,'90 F150 xtra cab 4x4, '93 F150 4x4
    Don't gut a 14 second car,thats just not cool.JMO

8. stmanser

well if i gut the 14 second car and it goes 13's then i can put the interior back in and say its a 13 second car....LOL

ok talk me into it...ill put the interior back in...

9. dmhines

dmhines Dixie Maverick Boy

Vehicle:
    1971 Grabber / 2012 Mustang / 2009 Jeep Wrangler / 2013 Ducati / 2009 Buell XB12Scg
    To lose a second you need to leave out more than the carpet and rear seats ... better also get some fiberglass parts, racing seats and plexiglass ...

10. stmanser

well if you take my time slip and calculate it out./..my car should run 14.25 in the quarter...but due to traction...it ran 14.5....so by taking out the interior it should have lessened the weight by about 75 pounds on a good day... so thereoretically...i should be at about 13.99......heck..even 14.10 would be nice...

but i will see...i am taking it to SIR beginning of june....

we shall see....
    i am being optimistic...

11. stmanser

i usually drive to the track with a little less than 1/4 tank...then i out 4 gallons of purple gas when i get to the track and let it idle for about 25 mins....then i let it sit for 30 mins then i go race...

yea the weight and all that is a pain....the only true way is to race it and weigh it....which i plan on doing 1st weekend in June...

12. PINKY

PINKY .....John Ford.....

Vehicle:
    1970 Ford Maverick
    its a really hard thing to do....get the quickest car and still drive it. Weight is cheap speed. I can appreciate what you are wanting to do. Unless you got loads of money, its hard to have a really fast street car that is also a really fast race car.
    Tough balance.....good luck.

13. stmanser

lol..i dont have money.....i have dreams.....i am putting the interior in,... i will get the leafs done....rear end rebuilt and 512 cam in and paly with a little nitrous here and there....i dont want to make it a 11 second car...( ok i do) but i would rather have a street daily driver....with NOS when i need it....and i am not going crazy....75-100 HP shot only...MAX....

i want to get it into 13 before i add NOS....that will be cam and 3.55 posi....

14. scooper77515

scooper77515 No current projects.

Vehicle:
    Fresh out of Mavericks
    What would a 75-100 shot of NOS do for a mostly stock 302 with 600 cfm Edelbrock carb on a 289 Performer intake? I have a 3.80 rear with a spool and a mild/moderate cam swap. Would I drop below 9 second 1/8 miles without blowing my engine? Currently I have 10.48 1/8 ET at 69 mph. I would love to have something in the 9s.

Most importantly, I don't want to melt anything that is important to make the engine run. Get my drift? I don't have the $$$ for a rebuild, but I have the cash for a NOS addition.

15. PINKY

PINKY .....John Ford.....

Vehicle:
    1970 Ford Maverick
    well, I think if you do not want to hurt your motor, you'd be better off leaving the NOS alone. I have never dealt with it, but did some research a while back when I thought my car was not fast enough. It seems that when using the stuff its only a matter of time before something gives, regardless of how big a shot you use. I would take that money and buy a pair of stickies, mount them on some old rims and enjoy.