Have a dash Question

Discussion in 'Cosmetic' started by my71comet, May 3, 2004.

1. my71comet

my71comet Member

Vehicle:
    1971 Comet
    I have a 1971 Mercury Comet 2 Door and I was wondering if anyone knows where I can find a lower dash for one of these cars with the factory A/C. If you know or if you have one let me know how much it would cost because my car looks real bad without the lower section and I would like to install a radio so I don't have to listen to the hum of the motor.

Thanks guys.:confused:

I have looked everywhere and can't seem to find these cars anywhere.

2. Mercurycruizers

Mercurycruizers David (Coop) Cooper

Vehicle:
    1973 LDO Comet GT Daily driver: 2008 Ford Taurus X SEL
    I take it, that the lower end vents are round? Cause on the 73 & newer they are rectangle. If you need the round ones, I may be of some help. Where in Seattle are you located? I live in south Seattle & work in north Seattle. I don't have the lower dash, but I do have the round vents. All I have for the lower dash is the tray (no glovebox).

3. my71comet

my71comet Member

Vehicle:
    1971 Comet
    I'm not worried about the vents too much, I need the tray with the section which the radio is housed in. my car doesn't even have the tray, just the upper dash and nothing more. I live In Olalla, Wa. How much would you want for the lower tray?

4. Mavaholic

Mavaholic Growing older but not up!

Vehicle:
    Original 72 Sprint Owner, 71 Comet GT, 57 Ranchwagon, 57 4 dr Wagon
    The radio is not bolted to the tray. It is suspended in a bezel which is screwed under the dash. I'm pretty sure I have a tray with ac vents. I will check when I get home from work this afternoon.

5. my71comet

my71comet Member

Vehicle:
    1971 Comet
    I really appreciate it, I am trying to get this car restored back to "nice" condition on the inside since the wife won't ride in it because of how bad the interior is. The dash thing is only the beginning of what I gotta do. Mavaholic, let me know if you do have that and also how much would you want for it?

6. 71gold

71gold Frank Cooper Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    '73 Grabber
    "wife want ride in it" why does that not sound like a bad thing to me...frank...

7. my71comet

my71comet Member

Vehicle:
    1971 Comet
    I am not sure if that is a good thing or a bad thing lol. Besides that she has been trying to get me to sale the car and I refuse. I would rather fix it up because I have seen what a lot of people have done with their cars and mine I would say has a lot of potential. She mostly wont ride in it right now because the brakes are shot, which I am fixing. Gotta love 4 wheel drums.

8. Mercurycruizers

Vehicle:
    I don't know what all you are replacing on the brakes. But, if you run into a problem, I might be able to help (expertise). I work at the Midas on hwy 99 & 130th, in north Seattle. I'll help anyway I can.
    Good luck! :clap: (y)

9. my71comet

my71comet Member

Vehicle:
    1971 Comet
    I have already replaced the drum brakes all the way around and then when I took it out for a test drive, it started to loose brake pressure like real fast. So I pull into a gas station and take a look under the car (past experience with wheel cylinders) and sure enough the rear right was leaking this time. This will be 3rd wheel cylinder I have either repaired or replaced. Over the weekend I took the drum off and took a look and the bottom spring had broke off and destroyed the auto adjuster therefore causing the wheel cylinder to pop. Got all of the parts coming in, just trying to get her so I can get back on the road. On a Comet or Maverick is there a special way that I have to bleed the brakes? What wheel do I start at? With manual brakes I wouldn't think I would have to have the car running during the bleed or do I? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

10. Mercurycruizers

Vehicle:
    First off, you are right...the car does not need to be running. You always start at the wheel that is the farthest away from the master (right rear) then you do the left rear, right front, & finish with the left front. I usually let them gavity bleed first, then have someone help with a foot, when I'm ready to bleed with pressure. Also make sure that all the drums are adjusted to where they just start to make contact with the drum. This will help give you a high & hard pedal. Plus it keeps the car from pulling oneway or the other. If the car pulls, you have either adjusted one to tight or one is not tight enough. Hope this helps.:) :bananaman

11. 71gold

71gold Frank Cooper Supporting Member

Garage:
    Vehicle:
    '73 Grabber
    mer. cru., you are the "brakeman". sounds like good advice...frank...

12. my71comet

my71comet Member

Vehicle:
    1971 Comet
    I took your advice and the brakes are stopping the car like they should. Sounds like they need adjusted because of a rubbing sound, but doesnt affect the way the car stops. Merc I was wondering how much you wanted for that lower dash? Thanks for the help.

13. my71comet

my71comet Member

Vehicle:
    1971 Comet
    Oh sorry about my last post about the lower dash thing..I mis read. My mistake. Trying to locate a lower dash section with radio housing. If anyone could help me out, please don't hesitate to let me know and how much would you want for it. Thank you in advance.

14. Mavaholic

Mavaholic Growing older but not up!

Vehicle:
    Original 72 Sprint Owner, 71 Comet GT, 57 Ranchwagon, 57 4 dr Wagon
    Sorry it took so long but it was pouring rain yesterday and I have to unload boxes to find stuff. One day I'll get organized...naa....probably not. Anyway I have a tray for a fact ac car but it is missing the passenger side ac vent assembly. I couldnt find a radio bezel but I know I have one. I'll keep looking this weekend. Email me if still interested. Mavaholic@aol.com

15. Sam M.

Sam M. Just a nobody

Vehicle:
    1972 Black Comet EFI 2-Door, 1975 Blue Maverick factory 302 4-Door
    I have a lower dash in black but it's not for A/C. I also have a radio bezel that will accomodate an old radio with tuning shafts. Would these work for you?

Sam :)